Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 28, 2005, 6:35 AM   #1

Hi All,

I'm thinking of swapping my Minolta Z3 as it's pretty useless indoors. Can anyone comment on the focus speed and accuracy indoors and in low light conditions of the FZ-20 (or other Panasonics) please? My other digicam Fuji F602 is great indoors so was very disappointed with the Z3. My other concerns include continuous focus accuracy in movie and still mode and just how good/poor is 320x240 30 fps when converted to watch on the TV?

Thanks

Simon (aka YorkshireTaff)
YorkshireTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:55 AM   #2

YorkshireTaff wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

I'm thinking of swapping my Minolta Z3 as it's pretty useless indoors. Can anyone comment on the focus speed and accuracy indoors and in low light conditions of the FZ-20 (or other Panasonics) please? My other digicam Fuji F602 is great indoors so was very disappointed with the Z3. My other concerns include continuous focus accuracy in movie and still mode and just how good/poor is 320x240 30 fps when converted to watch on the TV?

Thanks

Simon (aka YorkshireTaff)
Simon,

I've never had much trouble focusing indoors or in other low light conditions with my fz20. The movie mode just plain sucks on these cameras and I don't even know why they (panasonic) bothered with it. It does okay on a computer screen just to have some record of action and sound but if you are looking for good video, buy a video camera. If you want a very good digital camera for taking photos, the FZ is your unit.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 2:12 PM   #3

Thanks Jeff, I seem to be heading that way.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old Mar 28, 2005, 9:47 PM   #4

Nick Trop found a nifty little LED focus assist device a few weeks agothat screws into the tri-pod socket that puts out agood amount of light to aid in focusing. The LED focus assist that comes with the camerais limited, but the one that Nick found seemed to work better.

Nick..., any chance of you commenting, and reposting, on said LED device?
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:43 PM   #5

The product is Camerabright!

http://www.camerabright.com/
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:07 AM   #6

Yeah, Viz got to it. It's a good ditty to keep in your camera bag, "Fox" actually found it first. Good for those impossibly dark situations... like wedding receptions.

"Autofocus" is almost as tough a skill to master as manual focus on an old SLR. I have no complaints but see where some may become frustrated.

I leave the camera on spot, sometimes us the spot focus button, and have gotten good at finding vertical contrasty lines, focusing on them, and moving to the subject. Takes practice but it's something you definately get better and better at.

No complaints here but it's a YMMV thing.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:23 AM   #7

I got rid of my Z3 after 2 weeks of lousy pictures. I have a FZ15 and it is fantastic in low light using auto focus. There is no compairison between the Minolta and the Panasonic.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:44 AM   #8

Thanks All for your thoughts. I definately like the FZ-20 but am also wondering if I add a few extra quid whether or not to go for the Canon 8800 or Minolta A2 as they have better movie mode. Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Simon
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:47 AM   #9

YorkshireTaff wrote:
Quote:
Thanks All for your thoughts. I definately like the FZ-20 but am also wondering if I add a few extra quid whether or not to go for the Canon 8800 or Minolta A2 as they have better movie mode. Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Simon
Wrong place to ask that one my friend. You could always get a stand-alone camcorder, Pana do them as well!

Ian - 5 days with my '20
Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:18 AM   #10

lol... ok, I asked for that one :-) I find that by being loyal to good kit rather than the manufacturer I suffer less disappointment in life. Definately heading towards the FZ-20 though.

Simon