Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:16 AM   #1

I got a Lumix FZ1 (thanks Nick, for talking me into getting one even tho I have an FZ20, HA) and the lens sticks or the contact that tells the logic board that the lens is extended doesn't do so. Anyway it keeps telling me to take the lens cap off when it is already off. I really want to get a repair manual and fix it as I have fixed other digitals (Fuji Finepix to be exact) in the past. Any help appreciated. Thanks!!!
Jering is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2005, 6:19 PM   #2

i've been trough this after my FZ1 lens barrel hit the ground.
When you remove the back of the camera you need to remove a lot of connecters and flat-cables to be able to remove the printed circuit board in order to reach the lens unit.

In the lens unit there are a couple of motors, one of them is to move the barrel in and out. This is done by a rotating ring that takes the barrel in/out, just like a film camera zoom lens.

I hope this is of some help for you.

Erik
Erik VdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:54 PM   #3

Thanks Erik.

I just got done repairing it. I used intuition and experience from the Fuji. What happened is that the lens unit when it got hit (I assume) "jumped the tracks" so it would not move. The tough part was to realize that the motor for the lens extention (when it is turned on) had to be removed in order for the plastic mounting ring attached to the lens to seat correctly. I also had to turn the motor so the little blade that stops the rotation was in the correct position. I know this is mumbo jumbo to most but to someone who has had it apart, it makes sense. Thanks to Alexo, too, for the instructions on how to reset the camera to factory presets.

It is an amazing little camera!

P.S. I have to admit I lost one of the screws. Man, they are tiny!
Old Mar 29, 2005, 2:59 AM   #4

Quote:
The tough part was to realize that the motor for the lens extention (when it is turned on) had to be removed in order for the plastic mounting ring attached to the lens to seat correctly. I also had to turn the motor so the little blade that stops the rotation was in the correct position.
Would it not been possible to just PULL a little on the barrel to reposition it?

Quote:
P.S. I have to admit I lost one of the screws. Man, they are tiny!
I always use magnets to keep the screws in the right order.

Now i would like to know how to open my FZ10, but it seems to be stuck near the flash, i'm afraid of using to much force.
I would like to make a remote for the shutter and the zoom functions.

Erik
Erik VdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 2:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Would it not been possible to just PULL a little on the barrel to reposition it?
I guess that would have been an alternative but I had never seen the inside and didn't know what I was up against. All the tracks were out of alignment and it would have been quite a pull to get it back as well.

I will use the magnet idea. That's great. I was using an egg carton. Actually, I lost the screw when it flipped out of my tweezers as I was putting back in.

Thanks for all your help. Wish I could help you with the FZ10 but I am not yet ready to tear into my FZ20 unless it is broken.