Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:59 AM   #1

I know a lot of you here have done the same thing because I got the idea here. I ordered a Sunpak 422D flash as the whole 383/422/433 flash family comes so highly recommended. I found one on ebay that seemed to fit the bill and my bid won. The auction closed last Wednesday, the 23rd. I put my payment through to paypal and got confirmation that it was received. I have yet to hear from this person. My wife has ordered a few things from ebay and based on her experience, I expected an initial "congratulations you won! now pay me and I'll send it out" email. It's almost been a week and I have sent three emails to this person with no response.

Given it's easter week and all, I may be overracting and I will be really embarrassed if it suddenly shows up at my door but is it too unrealistic to expect a simple email reply?

What are your experiences? My last email to the seller was that if I don't hear from him by this Wednesday (a full week after the auction closed) and I haven't received the flash or a response that I was going to ebay and paypal over the issue.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:35 PM   #2

Wait until Friday before taking these actions.You are expecting too fast a shipment.It would expecting too much for you to have got the item by now
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:43 PM   #3

I did purchase wsomething once where I had no communications at all from the seller. The item did arrive in the mail after a week though. I personally would give it at least a couple more days, especially considering the easter holiday like you mentioned. I have been lucky I guess but I've never been stung on ebay - knock on wood!
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 2:19 PM   #4

thanks for the testamonies guys. I'm really not expecting delivery that soon, just a simple, email response letting me know that they are aware that I have won, paid, and awaiting shipment. If others have received their item with no dialog between themselves and the seller, then I have more confidence. I'm judging my purchase based on stuff the wife has purchased in the past. She just may have had more agressive/friendly sellers I guess.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 2:28 PM   #5

I did my first ever purchase through eBay over the weekend. I ordered the tripod adapter plate that robobear makes.

Later,
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 4:05 PM   #6

eddie_dane wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the testamonies guys. I'm really not expecting delivery that soon, just a simple, email response letting me know that they are aware that I have won, paid, and awaiting shipment. If others have received their item with no dialog between themselves and the seller, then I have more confidence. I'm judging my purchase based on stuff the wife has purchased in the past. She just may have had more agressive/friendly sellers I guess.
A lot of sellers are this way, unfortunately, but 99.9% of the time they deliver.. If the seller has a good feedback rating you shouldn't have any problems.. It's all still buyer beware however..

Good luck,
Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:01 PM   #7

I think you'll be fine. Never had a problem on eBay. Some sellers are like this. Probably out for the holidays... if the feedback is good, that's generally the ticket.

Good luck...

N
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:53 AM   #8

You guys were right. I got my Sunpak 422 on Wednesday (a week after I won) and never heard from the seller. For what it's worth, the flash was real flakey not charging up reliably. I cleaned the battery contacts and kept reseating the flash in the shoe and it worked fantastically for a whole battery cycle. I was blown away at the quality of the indoor bounce pictures. Then I put some new batteries (several sets) and it won't come on at all.

I ended up going to my local Ritz Camera shop and getting a Quantaray QBSZ-370 flash ($60). It's not as powrful as the Sunpak 422 but it cycles much faster, much lighter, and it also has bounce/swivel. I'll either return my 422 or tinker with it and see if I can get it working reliably and pouch it as a spare. My son has been getting into photography lately and it could be good for him.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 4:00 PM   #9

you could put in the feedback as a neutral that you received the item but he didn't respond to the e-mails that you sent him. may help another bidder in the future avoid the worries.
erkada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:20 PM   #10

As to leaving feedback, may I suggest just letting it go. The reason I say this is because just recently I had purchased a DVD from a seller who stated in his description that the DVD and case were in mint/new condition. When I received it I saw that the DVD had been reconditioned due to numerous scratches. The DVD work, but it was by no means mint/new. I decided to wait a few days to see if he was going to give me positive feedback for my completion of the deal, but he never did, so I decided to just post a neutral feedback for him, stating that the DVD worked, but was not in mint/new condition like his description stated. It took no longer than 20 min. after that for him to finally give me feedback. In retaliation he posted me a negative, warning other sellers to stay away. Talk about getting unfairly screwed by a dishonest seller. I have been selling and buying on eBay for about 5 years. As a seller, when the buyer completes his end of the deal I leave feedback, and now, when I buy, I wait for the seller to post feedback first. If this seller did not post feedback for you yet, it might be he is waiting to see what you leave him so he can strike back at you with some type of excuse to make it sound like it is all you and what he sold was exactly what he described in his auction.
TheHartster is offline   Reply With Quote