Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:46 PM   #1

I've been thinking about posting this review by Andy Piper on the Pana LC1/Digilux2. In the review he lists a work around for the noise levels at ISO 400 and even pushing the cam to ISO800/1600 (which didn't really work) - so far i haven't had much joy with work around. I wonder if any of the pro's here can give it a go and see if we can get some decent results. Here's a little snippet and he's also posted some sample shots too.

"Workarounds for using ISO 400

* Shoot RAW and accept the lag between shots
* Add some "grain" in Photoshop to fill in the ‘smoothed' areas, and the results are still nearly as sharp as some "old technology" 400 B&W films.
* Set the camera contrast to "high" - which increases local contrasts enough to "burn through" a lot of the noise smoothing, but drops out a lot of shadow detail.
* Or my preferred technique when I need ISO 400 jpegs: set the camera to ISO 100, contrast and saturation settings to "low", and underexpose 2 stops (EI 400 instead of ISO 400)."

Here's the url:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/leica/digilux2/

Harj

:arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:59 PM   #2

Interesting post. I'll be sure to check this out. Thanks for posting.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:56 PM   #3

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:56 PM   #4

Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:27 AM   #5

I've warmed up to Grain Surgery. It has an "add grain" feature that looks more like film grain.

I'm assuming he has run a noise reduction program so the added grain "to fill in the ‘smoothed' areas" is making the noise reduction less obvious.

It is immaterial where you have the contrast set on the camera if you are shooting raw. I would never set the camera contrast to high for JPGs. You can do that in Photoshop just as well – you just can't go the other way because you have lost a lot of dynamic range.

It has been my experience that when you shoot 2 f-stops low and pull the shadows out in Photoshop you get as much noise as just shooting at the higher ISO. Your techniques might be better.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:28 AM   #6

I think the first of the series is the best one.. At least on my screen. Given what you show, I'm not seeing a lot of need for a work around or the use of ISO 400 in that particular situation..

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:39 AM   #7

Old Mar 30, 2005, 5:44 AM   #8

Although he's reviewed the Digilux2/LC1 it still suffers from the same amount of noise that the FZ's do at ISO400 - actually from what I've read may be a little more than the FZ's. The first option of RAw does not apply to us but the last one could certainly be used - so far I haven't had much joy with my FZ10 but will try again.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote