Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:29 AM   #1

I have been planning this Yosemite trip for awhile and it is suppose to be spring; however, all it has been doing is raining and snowing.

It looks like my views will be of heavy snow. I have read that a polarizing lens is not good for snow. Is this true? Is it better to leave it off, or leave it on--and fix the coloring in post process work?

The weather looks like it's gonna be nice this weekend, so I wanna get a nice blue sky as well.

Can somebody give any tips? Is there a filter I could get that would be perfect?
jahsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:31 AM   #2

Bring the filter along and take pictures with and without it. That would be your best bet.

Take lots of pictures. Nothing better than to try it out yourself if you have it available. Always take what you have rather than leave it behind wishing later that you had brought it along.

Shoot, shoot, shoot and shoot some more.

You may want to get another SD card as well and a spare battery.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:43 AM   #3

Quote:
It looks like my views will be of heavy snow. I have read that a polarizing lens is not good for snow. Is this true? Is it better to leave it off, or leave it on--and fix the coloring in post process work?

I do not know who told you that but in my limited experience a polarizer works great in the snow.

Have you used a polarizer? Do you know you need to lock the meter and then turn the filter to get the effect you want?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:32 PM   #4

genece wrote:
Quote:

Have you used a polarizer? Do you know you need to lock the meter and then turn the filter to get the effect you want?
Actually I haven't. I was gonna search for some info later today before I leave tomorrow morning; however, if anybody has some links or tips they can give--I would love it.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 4:31 PM   #5

Hola !

HHHmm .. a bit of a toughie this little request so I looked around using google and came across these links hope they help:

(i) Take a look at megapixel.net - they have an article on how to take pictures of the snow.

"Snow photos are difficult to take. The brightness of the snow confuses the camera's metering system so that it generally under-exposes the image. In addition, falling snow tends to obscure the image, but usually is invisible in the final picture.

The solution? Add 1 EV of exposure compensation and force the flash on. The photo at right and the one below are examples of how the flash can alter the exposure. The photo at right is taken without the flash. The resulting photo is static, only revealing a snow covered street, house and car."

(ii) This tutorial at Luminous landscapes - http://www.luminous-landscape.com/ga...-_winter.shtml

(iii)http://www.cybamuse.com/antarctica/photo.htm
Tips for taking pic's in antartica

"It is recommended you don't use the polariser filter in the following situations as it adds a heavy blue tint to the picture:

* Sunshine and snow
* Overcast and snow
* Heavily overcast (believe me, it gets quite black sometimes - or navy blue if using a polariser!)
* Snow
* Glacial ice (it is tempting to try and exaggerate the deep glacial blue glow - don't!)"

(4) http://www.bytephoto.com/forums/t2349.html

Happy shooting!

Harj

:blah:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 7:51 PM   #6

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hola !

(iii)http://www.cybamuse.com/antarctica/photo.htm
Tips for taking pic's in antartica

"It is recommended you don't use the polariser filter in the following situations as it adds a heavy blue tint to the picture:

* Sunshine and snow
* Overcast and snow
* Heavily overcast (believe me, it gets quite black sometimes - or navy blue if using a polariser!)
* Snow
* Glacial ice (it is tempting to try and exaggerate the deep glacial blue glow - don't!)"

:blah:
Thanks Harj--the site about antartica is actually were I got the info about not using a polarizer. I'll take a peak at the other sites. Still also need to research using the polarizing lens before I leave--Lots to do.....
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:44 PM   #7

Don't forget a tripod. Have fun, the weather should be pretty nice.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote