Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:18 AM   #1

I have noticed that if I sharpen an image and then resize or crop it, it looks different (sometimes better, sometimes worse) than if I resize first and then sharpen it.

Are there basic rules about the order that PP should be done in, and is it best to have the picture in its final size before PP begins, or after PP is done?

I imagine this would especially apply to images posted here, being resized to 800x600.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:49 AM   #2

What is going on when you crop is just that.. You are simply discarding part of the photo but the rest (resolution) remains in tact. When you Resize (smaller) you are actually throwing away pixels. You've lost resolution in this case and in sharpening it, you are introducing jpg artifacts. So the answer to your question of when to sharpen will depend on how you intend to present the image.. Resize or crop..

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:44 AM   #3

OK, my poor explanation. Assume that viewing will be on a monitor, not a print. I resize to 800x600 to post here, or send as email to my family. SHould the PP be done in the final 800x600 form or original size, to get the best-looking image?
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:02 PM   #4

Same answer applies. If you are throwing away pixels with a resample (that's what resize does in most cases), what difference does it make if you are emailing or printing the images?? If you intend to just crop the image, sharpen at any time.. If you intend to resize (100% crop resized for posting), sharpen before.

The top image is a crop of the bottom one. Unprocessed otherwise.
Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:16 PM   #5

I crop first only because everything I do to the image goes faster. I usually do the same for a resample if I am post processing just for the smaller image.

Keep in mind that you need a smaller radius for sharpening on a smaller image. Other than that I don't think it makes any difference.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:38 PM   #6

I sharpen after resize.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote