Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:38 PM   #21

My major peeve: Can't see the EVF and LCD in low light.

When do we get useful gain up on the FZ range?

Other mfrs can do it, even on cheaper equipment than the FZ series.

Is it just that Panasonic don't care, or is it that they don't know how?
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:46 PM   #22

Idle wrote:
Quote:
My major peeve: Can't see the EVF and LCD in low light.

When do we get useful gain up on the FZ range?

Other mfrs can do it, even on cheaper equipment than the FZ series.

Is it just that Panasonic don't care, or is it that they don't know how?
Well, that's why I started this whole thread. To give people the opportunity to let Panasonic know what they think should be improved. I hope they do care. I am pretty sure they do. Otherwise they would not have been able to make such leaps forward in the digital camera market.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 5:09 PM   #23

Well they say it's a feature so you see what exactly you are taking a picture of. However, if you have flash on or external flash it should gain up.

I'm hoping their DSLR is gonna be awesome.
Shenook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 7:21 PM   #24

Shenook wrote:
Quote:
Well they say it's a feature so you see what exactly you are taking a picture of. However, if you have flash on or external flash it should gain up.

I'm hoping their DSLR is gonna be awesome.

Yeah right, that's some great "feature:. :?

Has Panasonic announced they are coming out with a DSLR?
Old Apr 2, 2005, 7:59 PM   #25

They announced a dslr with Olympus a long time ago:?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:28 AM   #26

Here's my take on things - the FZ20 replacement is most probably in some kind of beta testing already. The design and specs's would have already been in place before or just after the FZ20 launch. They would have fine tuned the feature list between then and now and may be working on firmware updates etc for a June/July launch date. Whether they take into account user feedback or read this or any of the other forum's who knows - there's been several previous threads like this one on the forum before where we've all pointed out issues we'd like fixing, i.e. the EVF which I'm think could have been fixed with a firmware upgrade. We did have Panasonic Bob on the forum but there been no sign of him in a long time.

Also you have to remember that Panasonic is putting a lot of effort into getting ready for the 4/3 DSLR for PMA2006.

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 3:07 PM   #27

I just wish they would release an update to fix the white balance / hue shift issues as it pertains to skin tones. I can live with the rest as for it's price I do not expect SLR perfection.

As it stands, for every "keeper" shot I post process in any case and so to add a couple of steps to adjust hue is not a big deal, just a festering inconvenience.

They should also re-examine the "red fringe" at long zoom issue.

These are both issues that I think can be fixed via a firmware update, at least the first can.

I've found the noise at iso200 to be livable. Even iso400 is OK with a little work but consider I came from a Canon G1 which had huge loads of noise and hot pixels.

A couple of months ago I posted my unhappiness with the WB/Hue issues as they pertain to skin tones and I was thinking of selling the camera if it didn't perform as expected for sports action shots.

The following was taken just after a heavy downpour and the sun was just starting to burn through. iso200, f5.2, 1/320 , no noise removal - just crop and resize plus tweaks for hue and saturation. I was pleased to capture this from halfway across the field in these conditions. Note the spray of muddy water from the shoe on the left. I took about 130 shots at this tourney and about 75% were keepers. Many were taken in burst mode - I've learned to aim the camera even through the blackout of the EVF and when not zoomed in too tight this allows for a nice crop later.

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:04 PM   #28

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Also you have to remember that Panasonic is putting a lot of effort into getting ready for the 4/3 DSLR for PMA2006.

Harj

I could not remember that because I did not know of it. :?What do you mean by 4/3 DSLR? Sensor size? Do you have a link with info on this upcoming model?
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:13 PM   #29

Here's link to the info

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05...shita_dslr.asp
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 5:22 PM   #30

rduve wrote:
Quote:
HarjTT wrote:
Quote:

Harj

I could not remember that because I did not know of it. :? What do you mean by 4/3 DSLR? Sensor size? Do you have a link with info on this upcoming model?
Rduve

4/3 DSLR -basically means its going to use the 4/3 CCD developed by Olympus and Kodak and the 4/3 lens mount.

Here's the original Panasonic press release:

http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/off...n050113-1.html

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?...rticle_id=1214

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote