Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 3, 2005, 5:41 PM   #31

NewSyl

Thats a pretty nice action shot in my opinion - I've tried taking a few myslef and they were well crap!

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 7:44 PM   #32

That is a nice action shot. I've seen/read posts where the higher ISOs seem to be good for shooting with a fast shutter-speed in cloudy or bright conditions. Noise is kept managable. It seems to me that combining a slow shutter speed with a high ISO setting is where the noise problems occur. Guess when working with digital, you can't view ISO speeds like you do with film. Non DSLRs are just not very good at non-flash, low light. I've just resigned myself to the fact that for decent indoor shots, you need an external flash, a diffuser, and a WA adapter... Got good results with that.

Given the current state of technology the only thing I wish my camera had without adding to the cost of the camera is a flexible LCD. I really wish the camera had this for waste-level framing and macros...

My "guess" on EVF gain-up is that it might consume too much battery power? Then they get dinged on poor battery life, a real deal breaker for some folks.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 8:31 PM   #33

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
That is a nice action shot. I've seen/read posts where the higher ISOs seem to be good for shooting with a fast shutter-speed in cloudy or bright conditions. Noise is kept managable. .
Agree. This a good action shot; iso200 gets the shutter speed up and, in good light, noise is marginal. It was also taken at less than full zoom which probably helped considerably with the noise; one of the benefitsof having more megapixels (come-on fz5!) to crop laterand, as indicated, helped with the burst mode evf blackout for better post framing
Quote:
I've just resigned myself to the fact that for decent indoor shots, you need an external flash, a diffuser, and a WA adapter... Got good results with that.
I'm beginning to see the possibilities of using a wa (and with zooming capabilities) for more light absorption.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 8:45 PM   #34

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
I'm beginning to see the possibilities of using a wa (and with zooming capabilities) for more light absorption.
Yes! WA is great here! That's why I went with the DCR 720. I liked both, and the 6600 is definately a better (...hands down "the best" imo) pure wide, but the reality is I was never going to use both, and zoom through for low light outweighted that (wonderful) truly wide field of view.

You must be chomping at the bit waiting for your new cam. I think you're really gunna like it. FZ1v2 relegated to ir duties, and rugged terrain.

N
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:02 PM   #35
VP

(Broken record here)

I would be estatic with my FZ20 if I could justsee what is on the LCD or EVF in anything other than reallygood light and close distance. I really found out today , when using the telephoto conversion lens even with good light it was almost impossible for me to find my subjects to frame the shot. What helped the most was being in the shade and using the EVF Icould finally manage to get the shots. That is enough time lost for an object of attention to move.

Other great featureson this camera and coupled with apathetic viewfinding system.

This one might be best used forMacrosthan my original intent of wildlife at farther distances.

I came so close to going DSLR when I decided to go digital and may yet. Maybe if my eyes were 20 years younger?? Nah. ----Sigh.

VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 1:27 AM   #36

Quote:
Quote:
Rduve

4/3 DSLR -basically means its going to use the 4/3 CCD developed by Olympus and Kodak and the 4/3 lens mount.

Here's the original Panasonic press release:

http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/off...n050113-1.html

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?...rticle_id=1214

Harj
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will get my DSLR probably by the end of next year. Hopefully Panasonic and Leica will develop a similar lens as on the FZ20 to fit the 4/3's standard.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 1:37 AM   #37

There are a variety of desirable features that probably should be added to the FZ20's successor - most noticeably: a tilt LCD, EVF gain-up, a tilt flashand a 'bulb' mode (especially if an affordable remote was available!).

There are also a range of further additions that could be considered - eg: an optical framing device of some kind (flip-up?) - to get around EVF lag and blackout, higher resolution movie-mode, more firmware/electronics tweaking (esp. for noise levels), a zoom ring on the lens barrel, filter threads on the lens, etc...

Buthow much gets added will be a cost consideration -as gooda camera as the FZ20 is for the price,the new entry-level DSLRs are becoming more and more attractively priced.

Coming from a SLR, I really miss a proper optical viewfinder. Not that I would buy an entry-level DSLR yet anyway - they might have less noise on average than the FZ20, but still not good enough to make it worth putting up with the minuses (bulky, costly lenses, dusty sensors etc) - esp. seeingI was used to shooting a lot of Kodachrome 25 andVelvia (rating it at ISO 40). I have often wondered if it would be possible for Panasonic to add an ultra-low noise setting (ISO 50 or lower) to the FZ20 (through firmware?) - which sacrifices shutter performance for maximum image clarity.

Also, despite any wishes for the future, there are a few issues which Panasonic really shoulddeal with now - ie with existing FZ20s!
As well as addressing issues withhue shifts and maximal noise processing, two of the most glaringusage nuisances should be able to be fixed simply through a firmware upgrade.
1). The need for EVF gain-up would be substantially reduced if the menu included a setting to turn off the 'feature' of stopping down the display. Sometimes you want this, other times you definitely don't - and they should have included such a setting from the start!
2). The display (and EXIF) does not give focus distance. I cannot think of any good reason why this was left off - ideally, depth-of-field should also be shown...

David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:47 AM   #38

So what about a CMOS sensor? I am not too technologically savvy so I am not sure about specs, but why not switch? And as far as cost, if/when Panasonic comes out with a dslr, are they gonna use Leica lenses? If they do, won't it be very expensive? And like now where Panasonic has the Lumix line which has watered down versions of the FZ20 (leaving out features in the smaller models, etc.), they should reconstruct their line, and make the new version of the FZ20 top of the line with a much bigger sensor, I would like to see multi AF points like on the dslr and a real auto tracking focus feature, so candids and sports would be much better. If this camera costs even $800+, I think a lot of us would pay it. And for those that won't pay that much, or can't afford it, they could come out with a bunch of cameras in the line that would lower the price. Maybe have 3 Lumix dslr like cameras. This way all of us would be happy. I love the camera, and the idea of the camera. I bought the Canon EOS 20D b/c I need to be able to shoot indoors, and with the FZ20, the built in flash is often not good enough and I have an external flash, but it isn't TTL, oh yeah:

Hey Panasonic, could ya make acamera with TTL flashcapabilities, please!

This is my 2 cents as how they can improve the camera, as well as multi AF points. And like everyone, we need ISO of at least 1600, 3200 would be great! -And I am aware of the technological problems of sensor size (well, vaguely) but there has to be a way around it. And like I said, the new top of the line camera could be sizeably bigger than the FZ20, so we can get the 12x zoom, the 8mp quality along with the high ISOs. Then come out with a camera right below it with a lower ccd chip, they can figure out how to do the whole line, but I am voting on a super FZ20 that answers all of our prayers, even if it is $800 or even $1k, it would be so worth it for all of the features.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 3:15 AM   #39

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 12:31 PM   #40

Jake D wrote:
Quote:
'greenbaron' posted an idea way back I've been using. If you use manual mode you can thumb the dial over 1 to macro or to aperture setting and keep the ev set +2 to frame, then to shoot switch back to manual where the ev setting has no effect. It's a handy trick for M but no easy workaround for p/a/s mode. Seems like firmware could have fixed it. Maybe after the fz1 episode they don't want to invest in firmware updates. But free firmware updates is only going to make a dedicated base more dedicated I would think. As things are, if the next model has some problem, no one is going to buy it thinking a firmware fix will come along.
Jake, maybe I am missing the history of what you are referring to, but what are you talking about? In which situation to you use the above workaround???

:?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote