Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:19 AM   #1

hi there,

I need to buy a new high capacity, high speed sd card for my panasonic fz5 - does anyone know anything about bytestor cards (available from amazon for £52stg)?

or would i be better off going for a recognised brand name, like the sandisk ultra range?

or, if the camera has the capability, should I purchase a sandisk extreme (or the panasonic pro)?
any advice would be greatly appreciated...

thanks,
digicamak
digicamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:36 PM   #2

i'd avoid off-brand cards. you can get very fast, 1GB cards from places like Newegg.com for less than $80 US, or on ebay for only slightly more. the FZ'z will handle the Sandisk Ultra II cards, but anything faster than about 60-65x is not necessary.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:18 AM   #3

digicamak wrote:
Quote:

hi there,

I need to buy a new high capacity, high speed sd card for my panasonic fz5 - does anyone know anything about bytestor cards (available from amazon for £52stg)?

or would i be better off going for a recognised brand name, like the sandisk ultra range?

or, if the camera has the capability, should I purchase a sandisk extreme (or the panasonic pro)?
any advice would be greatly appreciated...

thanks,
digicamak

Try www.ebuyer.com they have the Kingmaxplatinum cards for £57 inc vat and delivery, the cards seem to be well respected

i have to say that the bytestor does look pretty reasonable tho. Not all high speed cards run at the same speed tho. i read a review once (that i now cant find )and they found that some were better at transferring large chunks of data and some betterat small chunks and random access (pretty much like hard disks!) its worth seeing if you can find performance reviews tho.

i use kingmax platinum, sandisk ultra II and PNY high speed cards.

dont forget there is always ebay, sellers from hong kong sell very cheap, that where i got my sandisk card from

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 5:11 PM   #4

Have a look at picstop:

http://www.picstop.co.uk/securedigital.htm

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:19 PM   #5

I bought two 512MB Kingmax Platinum cards for my FZ5 from Ebay and they work perfectly.
bandysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:17 AM   #6

Same here. I bought a 1gb and a 512mb Kingmax card from ebuyer. No problems so far. Both are high speed (60x) - and seem very fast both in the camera and in the card reader.
chalkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 11:33 AM   #7

Me too, got the 512Mb 60x Platinum from Ebuyer when I ordered theslower card :-)
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 3:24 PM   #8

newegg.com usually has the Kingmax at a great price and you get it 48 hrs later via FedEx
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote