Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 1, 2005, 7:11 AM   #1

Made this picture 2 years ago.

I didn't use any flash, the light was reflected from a nearby rock.

Btw, does anyone can tell what kind of bird is this one?
Attached Images

aswp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2005, 5:33 PM   #2

I think it is a heron of some sorts...a blue heron?

They are propably nice to shoot as they stand still wqaiting for fish etc for some time!
Oh to live outside a city!
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 6:16 PM   #3

jussiuk:

I think you may be correct, looks pretty darn close.
Might be a young one?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DN
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 6:32 PM   #4

Thank you all for the help.

I'm not sure if it's the same bird. According to this site, Great Blue Heron did not exist in Australia (I took this pics in Wollongong, a city south of Sydney).

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed..._herodias.html
Old Apr 1, 2005, 7:09 PM   #5

A beauty of a bird, whatever it is. It's not a Great Blue Heron, but sure looks like some type of Heron.
bejoweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 8:13 PM   #6

must've been one heckuva bright rock! yeah, it's a heron of some sort, but i don't think it's a great blue. they have yellow beaks and a black stripe along the side of their heads. could be an immature one, though?

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 8:53 AM   #7

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
must've been one heckuva bright rock! yeah, it's a heron of some sort, but i don't think it's a great blue. they have yellow beaks and a black stripe along the side of their heads. could be an immature one, though?

Wow! WOnderful shot!

Indeed it's not a Great Blue Heron. According to some sources, Great Blue does not exist here in AUstralia. Somebody said to me that this is a Grey Heron.

Thank you for sharing that picture.

Oh, about the rock. The rock that reflected the light is right next to bird just slightly out of view. It was late afternoon but during summer the bright sun stays longer.

Guess I was lucky that the bird choose the spot right next to a 'reflector' :lol:
Old Apr 2, 2005, 8:57 AM   #8

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:

I was wondering how did you get this shot? Looks like the bird is close to you. I thought Great Blue tend to be very sensitive with any human presence near them?
Old Apr 2, 2005, 3:35 PM   #9

normally they are. i took that picat a local park that doubles as a wildlife sanctuary, and i think the local critters know they're safe there. the bird was only about 20-25 feet away. there's a boardwalk that leads around the edge of a little bay at one end of a large lake, and at the end of the boardwalk is an observation platform about ten feet across, with railings. this day, there were a couple of guys with DSLRs and 600mm lenses on tripods, taking pics, and i walked up with my li'l Z20 to see what they were looking at. the bird just sort of slowly strolled out from behind some reeds, seeming to pay absolutely no mind to us on the platform. he stayed where he was for quite some time, letting us take zillions of shots, before he flew off across the little lagoon (it's only about 50 yards wide) to look for lunch on the other side. later, he came back over toward the platform, so i followed him around the boardwalk, and got even closer, perhaps 15 feet away... once again, he stayed for a long time, letting me watch him catch a small fish, and allowed me plenty of timeto framethis shot... in some ways, not as nice as the other, but it offers a better view of the whole bird. i have 8x10's of both pics framed on my wall... the images printed beautifully! :G
Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:55 AM   #10

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i took that picat a local park that doubles as a wildlife sanctuary
squirl - which park is that? As said before used to live in Redmond.

Ian
Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote