Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 2, 2005, 5:25 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4
Default

I'm sure there's another thread on this but oh well. WE all know Olympus and Panasonic are making a new DSLR.

They say they want to have the leader or whatever in the market. They are going with the 4/3 standard.

Great I'm all for it cause I don't have 35mm lenses anyway and want the best.

Let me make a list of things that I think it should have.

It needs to be competitive against the new canon next year which will probably be about 22mp. SO 22mp or more. Close is good enough. But less noise is better.

Noise needs to be at a minimum.

Image stabalization lenses must be available at launch.

Must have gain up features.

If they want the industry best they need to offer not only RAW format but be the first to implement jpeg200 also #1 thing! Heck get rid of tiff altogether. heck get rid of standard jpeg to reduce costs if this reduces it any.

Again noise and picture quality need to match or exceed the new Canon flagship DSLR.

Wireless option would be good too but personally I don't care about such things.

Speed of Auto-focus needs to be nearly instantaneous.

ISO settings up to 3200 or 3600 albeit if they get a good sensor to combat noise.

New lenses need to be top quality and comparable in price to 35mm lenses.

Overall picture quality must exceed canon or the 4/3rd standard will go to wayside by the naysayers.

Definitely a TTL flash support.

Panasonic image stabalization built into the camera rather than lens would be the #2 thing.

Heck of a display.

Needs superb customer support/warranty.

Foveon or CMOS or CCD doesn't matter as long as quality exceeds canon and Nikon.

Support for usb 2.0 and new firewire 800.

Next generation Lithium ion battery.

Write images to different file formats ie Compact flash or SD.

Of course competitively or better priced to the MarkII series now.

What else you guys think?

Shenook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2005, 5:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,974
Default

How about drying your hair like the Konica-Minolta Z series. I have the Pana FZ1v2, 10, 20 and LC40. None can dry my hair like my Konica-Minolta Z10.

Your list pretty much sums it up to be one heck of an expensive camera though and all those features would be nice even if it does not dry your hair.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 7:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,534
Default

This was on DP review - wasn;t sure if it was an April 1st fool's day trick!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05...shita_dslr.asp

On another note theres news on the a new budget Nikon D50 DSLR.

Harj

:blah:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 7:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jake D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 205
Default


Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 7:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
nooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,452
Default

Judging by the E300, they may be in trouble unless they can address noise at the higher ISO ranges. Canon has a headstart on sensor development that could be hard to overcome.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
JEDinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 235
Default

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
How about drying your hair like the Konica-Minolta Z series. I have the Pana FZ1v2, 10, 20 and LC40. None can dry my hair like my Konica-Minolta Z10.

Your list pretty much sums it up to be one heck of an expensive camera though and all those features would be nice even if it does not dry your hair.
Don't forget, it has to be edible too!!
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 11:43 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
NickTrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,249
Default

JEDinNC wrote:
Quote:
vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
How about drying your hair like the Konica-Minolta Z series. I have the Pana FZ1v2, 10, 20 and LC40. None can dry my hair like my Konica-Minolta Z10.

Your list pretty much sums it up to be one heck of an expensive camera though and all those features would be nice even if it does not dry your hair.
Don't forget, it has to be edible too!!
Yummm... edible cameras...

I think these two have something up their sleeve. I admire the fact that neither company is an "also ran" and have been innovators...

My "guess" is that they will put out a product that - while not necessarily the technology leader, will be competitive from a features standpoint, but will compete primarily on price. The camera body being surprisingly feature rich, and sold at a break-even price point... But the lenses will be proprietary and somewhat pricey.

Just a guess, now... but look for a respectable DSLR with a "just okay" kit lens, and a street price in the $500 to $600 range for the body.



NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:35 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4
Default

Well, as for Olympus and Matsushita/Panasonic they both aren't touted as great leaders of the best DSLR's in the market.

The one reason they are working together is that they are both Japanese companies. Olympus has more experience in the digital camera market but Panasonic has a reputation of implementing new and innovative features that impress the industry. Even on their FZ20. Panasonic is Very new at the digital camera game and they've made a name for themselved without having to tout the best of the best camera.

I have a feeling we'll be in for a surprise if they are ready in 2006 for the PMA.
Shenook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 9:03 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,534
Default

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
JEDinNC wrote:
Quote:
vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
How about drying your hair like the Konica-Minolta Z series. I have the Pana FZ1v2, 10, 20 and LC40. None can dry my hair like my Konica-Minolta Z10.

Your list pretty much sums it up to be one heck of an expensive camera though and all those features would be nice even if it does not dry your hair.
Don't forget, it has to be edible too!!
Yummm... edible cameras...

I think these two have something up their sleeve. I admire the fact that neither company is an "also ran" and have been innovators...

My "guess" is that they will put out a product that - while not necessarily the technology leader, will be competitive from a features standpoint, but will compete primarily on price. The camera body being surprisingly feature rich, and sold at a break-even price point... But the lenses will be proprietary and somewhat pricey.

Just a guess, now... but look for a respectable DSLR with a "just okay" kit lens, and a street price in the $500 to $600 range for the body.


Nick

Those were good points esp regarding price - they may not have any choice becuase of the Canon 350/RebelXT and the new D50.

Nooner's right about the 4/3 CCD and noise levels, upto ISO800 its good but any higher theyre bad and if you compare samples on the new Canon iso1600 looked darn good! Hmmm... just realised I'd be happy with a very good ISO 400/800 right now!

Here's a quote from steve's review on the E-300:

"The E-300's image quality was very good at ISO 100 and 200. At higher ISO's, noise becomes evident; while 400 is very usable, noise becomes noticeable in highlight areas at ISO 800, and there's so much noise present at ISO 1600 that you'll only use it when it's the only way to get the shot."

"Image stabalization lenses must be available at launch."

I'd rather have OIS in the camera like FZ's have now as IS lenses from Canon and Nikon are seriously expensive ??

I wonder if they'll do our "fake" and edible Leica lenses (wheres the chilli oil?) for these things ? If they did come out with the dslr with a lecia designed lens it would be very nice indeed. I'd be willing to buy a Panasonic dslr+Lecia designed lens over a Nikon/Canon.

Now the question would be is it worth holding on till 2006 esp, knowing that a replacement for the FZ20 will be due in June/July 2005?

Harj


HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 9:23 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 158
Default

My question is what brand name will it go under? Olympus or Panasonic (or something else)?
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.