Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:35 AM   #1

:?Hi Everyone, sorry I haven't been around lately, my Mom died the day after

Thanksgiving unexpectedly, she lived with me and it's been hard to deal with, I'm an only child and my Dad's been dead since '82...I'm making adjustments for sure.

Anyway, my camera has stopped "auto focusing" no matter what I do, I cannot get the green brackets around my subject, I have "RESET" the camera, tried a new battery, card etc. and nothing works...when I try to focus, there just is no brackets and all pics come out blurry. and I get a red camera when I push the shutter button down halfway like you would to normally focus the camera...there's nothing else turned on that shouldnt be, I've checked the book etc. sigh, I have a new grandson and no way to get pics, I'm very upset! Anyone else having this problem????

Oh and I have cleaned all lenses and checked for dirt and dust etc.

I sure could use some help, my 90 day labor is up and my extended warranty hasn't kicked in yet I dont think, I need to call Circuit City and find out...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you so much
Linda
redparrot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:44 PM   #2

Sounds like you might have it in manual focus mode. That may sound obvious, but did you check that out? There's a switch on the left side of the lens barrel. (See pages 65 and 66 in the manual.) Make sure that it's pushed up to AF mode. Maybe it's stuck on the MF mode. Try switching it back and forth a few times and see what happens.

Good luck. And sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.
pggunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:54 PM   #3

Hi Linda!

Condolences with regards to your mum passing away.Not sure what could be wrong with the cam, it may need to go into repair. I do wish Panasonic had a decent FAQ guide for the FZ's on the website for these kind of situations.

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 1:40 PM   #4

The red camera" indicator in the upper right corner of the screen is the "camera shake" warning, telling you your shutter speed is slow and the shot may be blurry due to camera movement. But you should still get the focus brackets.

Do you have the AF mode switch in the right position?If you've selected the "3-area" or "9-area" focus mode in your AF setup, the sceen will show no brackets, only a small "+" symbol in the center of the screen,until you press the shutter halfway, but even in these modes, when you press the shutter, you should get green brackets indicating it's focused correctly, or red ones if it isn't. Either of these two modes uses a much larger portion of the image to determine focus, and if you're aiming at subjects of varying distance within the same frame, the camera may not know which one to focus on. Try selecting "1-area" focusing in the AF menu, see if that helps your shots clear up.

Can you focus it manually?

If none of these ideas work, then perhaps you do need to send the camera in...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:12 PM   #5

Thank you very much for the condolences, yesterday was her birthday and that has been one of the HARDEST days yet...I am doing ok, just feel like I lost my best friend.

hugs

Linda
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:15 PM   #6

ROFL, you won't believe this but this morning, I took ONE more look at it, because I was going to take it to Circuit City and have it checked out :?and that's EXACTLY what I found (very red faced here) I had it set for Manual Focus, oh geez...do I feel stupid!!!!!!

Everything is BACK to normal...oh my, I'll go sit red faced in my corner now...yikes!

Thank you all for responding so quickly!

Hugs

Linda:?
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:16 PM   #7

Thank you SO much for all your information, I was on Manual Focus, well, I feel silly but MUCH MUCH better, I love my camera and was really worried.

:blah:Hugs

Linda