Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 3, 2005, 3:48 PM   #1

Sorry for the repetition if this has already been reported but I scanned a few forumpages and didn't see it as a topic. I was browsing magazines in the airport today while returning from a business trip and saw the FZ-20 gracing the cover of PC Magazine heralding a major article on post processing. There was a second article comparing different types of ZLRs and the FZ-20 fared pretty well getting 4 of 5 stars whichtied the most given to any ZLR. There was also a short description of a ZLR that Sony will be coming out with soon which the reviewers were pretty gaga over. The reviews seemed pretty fair and balanced overall however they left the Nikon D70 out of the DSLR reviews which seem to me to be a glaring omission.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:03 PM   #2

I noticed that their top three rated cameras include the FZ20 and FZ15. Interesting as most of these kind of mags are driven by advertising dollars.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:28 PM   #3

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1768989,00.asp

Here for the Sony Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ns-Review-.htm

I think the FZ5 is a better choice.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 7:30 PM   #4

Ya know, I look at these other big zooms and there always seems to be something missing...

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1:

Although the H1 offers a hefty list of white balance presets, no manual, customizable option is included.

Cyber-shot H1's will shoot 0.7 frames per second in the burst mode

Apertures range from f/2.8-f/3.7

... from the review link posted by Boyzo. Same dollars as the FZ-20, but it loses a stop at full tele, has a slow burst mode... and the "deal breaker" - no manual white balance. I don't use manual WB all the time, but when you need it, you need it.

For the same dollars as the FZ-20, why would I give up these features/capabilities?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 7:56 PM   #5

Nick

Got to agree with esp on the manual white balance - sometimes it can be really useful. Also,they don't even get a fake Carl Ziess lens either! It looks damn ugly too with its styling it looks too much like Minolta Z3 - hair dryers if you ask me.

HArj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 8:05 PM   #6

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Nick

Got to agree with esp on the manual white balance - sometimes it can be really useful. Also,they don't even get a fake Carl Ziess lens either! It looks darn ugly too with its styling it looks too much like Minolta Z3 - hair dryers if you ask me.

HArj
Yes... has that hair-dryer look to it, dunnit? And, whaddaya know? Dropped the designer lens "Zeiss" label heh, heh. At least the Minolta 8800 went for eight megapixels but that cam sucks imo.

Actually, this one reminds me of a lazer zapper ray gun on some low budget sci-fi flick, like "Doctor Who" (kidding... Hey, what happened to the new doctor? Looks like he bailed. 'fraid of gettng "type cast" or some-fin... like he didn't know that going in. Yeesh.)
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote