Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 3, 2005, 9:34 PM   #1

I have searched the forum, and can not find any discussion on this. Why is it that my 10x binoculars bring objects closer (way closer)than the 12x lens on my FZ20? I thought optical power was universal. Ten power would mean the object viewed would be ten times closer. So why don't objects appear larger with the 12x of the FZ20? Any optics experts care to explain? I was a little dissapointed when I got my FZ20, as everyone raves about the 12x lens. That is why I chose this camera over other similar cameras, because this one had the most optical power. Now don't get me wrong, I don't regret buying it, because I bet I would be even more dissapointed in the optical performance of any of the other cameras with less power. I just would like to understand why it seems this way.
008man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 9:55 PM   #2

008man wrote:
Quote:
I have searched the forum, and can not find any discussion on this. Why is it that my 10x binoculars bring objects closer (way closer) than the 12x lens on my FZ20? I thought optical power was universal. Ten power would mean the object viewed would be ten times closer. So why don't objects appear larger with the 12x of the FZ20? Any optics experts care to explain? I was a little dissapointed when I got my FZ20, as everyone raves about the 12x lens. That is why I chose this camera over other similar cameras, because this one had the most optical power. Now don't get me wrong, I don't regret buying it, because I bet I would be even more dissapointed in the optical performance of any of the other cameras with less power. I just would like to understand why it seems this way.
The Zoom range is 36 - 432mm in 35mm SLR terms.
12 x 36mm = 432mm FZ20
50mm is considered the human field of view in SLR terms
432 / 50 = 8.6 zoom ratio
so its really 8.6 x zoom relative to the human eye (50mm)....
but yes a 12x zoom is technically correct but related to 36mm which is already a moderate wide angle lens.
If binoculars were 10 X 50 mm then you will then see further than with the Hypothetical FZ20 8.6 x zoom.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 9:58 PM   #3

I am not an optics expert, but I would guess the difference may be due to what is known as Field Of Vision. That is - the width of the area being viewed and zoomed. As that width is reduced it would make it appear closer to the eye... I think:idea:
slick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:06 PM   #4

Thank you Boyzo and Slik2.That was exactly the kind of awnser i was hoping to get. Detailed enough to explain it but simple enough to understand.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 12:16 AM   #5

Boyzo hit it... the "12x" refers to the fact that the Panasonic lensprovides a max magnification of 12 times theminimum focal length(36x12=432). The human eye sees objects at about the same magnification as a 50mm SLR lens - which is why so many film SLRs come with a 50mm lens as the standard "kit" lens.a film SLR lens of 500mm will produce about the same optical magnification as your 10x binoculars; to get "true" 12x optical magnification relative to the human eye, your FZ wouldneed a lens something like 600mm (50mm x 12 = 600mm), which would be 16.7x relative to the camera's minimum focal length of 36mm.

you're right, 008man, you would be even more disappointed with a camera advertising, say, an 8x optical zoom - if it started at the same 36mm minimum focal length, it would offer "only" the equivalent of a 288mm lens, which in human eye terms would be a bit less than 6x optical magnification. also, since different brands of cameras may use different minimum focal lengths, "8x" from one may yield slightly different optical magification than the same "8x"from another brand.

by the way, "field of vision" or "field of view"is a function more related tothe incident angle of lighthitting the lens than to magnification itself, and has the effect of visually croppingan image, but not making it larger.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:48 PM   #6

Thanks for shedding even more light on this subject. You explanation helps along with the first two. I am not dissapointed in this camera, only my ignorance, which listers here are helping me overcome. Thanks:-)
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:20 AM   #7

I confirm Boyzo's statements.

And already heard a lot about the facts that FZ20's 12x equals about 9x 'real' magnification.

And I have a 150m/1000m binocular 7x35 which still seems to magnify more than FZ20 or about the same (and it is obviously sharper at long "tele" than FZ20).

Also have you noticed how slight is the increment of magnification in the last range of zooming (9x to 12x)?
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 9:46 AM   #8

You could also look at the FZ20 lens as a +9, -3X zoom range. Any way you slice it it's still a great optical system.
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 9:10 PM   #9

tswill2 wrote:
Quote:
You could also look at the FZ20 lens as a +9, -3X zoom range. Any way you slice it it's still a great optical system.
Thats a good way to put it, yes +9 zoom is still great its why LUMIX rock.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote