Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:39 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 18
Default

Hello,

I was shopping online today looking at the DMC-FZ20 and I happened to see the DMC-FZ5 is coming soon. What was really interesting to me is that the new camera is supposed to debut at a lower price than the current price of the FZ20.

Anyhow, I've been doing some research on the two cameras and other than size and design there aren't too many changes I've noticed. There are some other differences I seen while running through the specs, but being a beginner I really don't know much of what they mean. So, I was hoping someone could help me to better understand which of the two cameras offers the best benefits. I would think since the FZ5 is new and supposed to be kind of an improved FZ20 that is the way I should go, but the fact that the camera is cheaper confuses me.

So, anyone that could help me to understand a little better the new features on the new model would be greatly appreciated. I'm still trying to learn this new information and I'm not quite there yet. I'm really excited to get my camera, but I'm also interested to see if the new model may hold a better future for me.



Thanks so much,

Snick :|

http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=3454
snicker_bar4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2005, 12:11 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
jsiladi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 587
Default

snicker_bar4u wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

I was shopping online today looking at the DMC-FZ20 and I happened to see the DMC-FZ5 is coming soon. What was really interesting to me is that the new camera is supposed to debut at a lower price than the current price of the FZ20.

Anyhow, I've been doing some research on the two cameras and other than size and design there aren't too many changes I've noticed. There are some other differences I seen while running through the specs, but being a beginner I really don't know much of what they mean. So, I was hoping someone could help me to better understand which of the two cameras offers the best benefits. I would think since the FZ5 is new and supposed to be kind of an improved FZ20 that is the way I should go, but the fact that the camera is cheaper confuses me.
No.. The FZ20 has a manual focus ring that, personelly, I find very useful and a hot shoe for external flash. Again, very useful. The FZ5 is an improved FZ3.. These cameras are the smaller footprint of the larger 10,15,20 cameras.. It may be that you would never use the manual focus or the hot shoe but it's nice to have them if needed or wanted. In choosing between the 2, I would let size in hand be the major deciding factor. The 20 is larger than the 5.

Quote:

So, anyone that could help me to understand a little better the new features on the new model would be greatly appreciated. I'm still trying to learn this new information and I'm not quite there yet. I'm really excited to get my camera, but I'm also interested to see if the new model may hold a better future for me.
I'll defer to the people who actually own the FZ5 on the last part of your question. Except to say, I think you would be happy with either one.. Both are shooters cameras in that to master them, some skill will have to be learned. The great part about them though is that you can move into the features while still starting off with a point and shoot with a killer zoom lens.

Quote:


Thanks so much,

Snick :|

http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=3454
Good luck,
Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 12:34 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

the FZ5 is not an improved version of the Z20, nor is it intended to replace the larger model -it's basically an upgraded FZ3.it lacks the hotshoe and manual focus, and the lens also stops down a bit, from f2.8 to f3.3 at full zoom, where the FZ20 is f2.8 throughout the zoom range. if those aren't important to you now, consider whether they might be in the future as your skills and interests change. i have an FZ20, and find its size to be just about right... i like the substantial feel of the camera, and the size fits my hands well. of course, i also learned photography with a Pentax SLR that was about the same size and a good deal heavier, by the time i put on a 70-210 zoom and auto-winder....

if you shop around, you can get an FZ20 for the same price as the FZ5, but if you still like the FZ5 best for its compact size, and don't feel the need for the added features the FZ20 offers, you won't go wrong buying one... from the reviews i've read, it's an excellent camera.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:27 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 18
Default

Thanks so much for the replies, I'm glad I asked before I bought. The ability to add lenses later and also flash is very important to me as I am trying to improve my skills. I must have completely looked over the fact. I actually would like to have a larger camera as I already have a compact and somewhat compact camera and I'm looking to get something a little more heavy for my shooting.

Thanks again for the replies,

Snick:|,

http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=3454
snicker_bar4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 12:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
nooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,452
Default

As of now an aftermarket adapter is not available for the FZ5 so you would have to rely on the stock unit which may not be up to handling heavier add on lens.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 1:49 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
genece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,111
Default

Just a guess but I do not think it will be long until Mr Yoshida has an adapter for the FZ5.

http://butabara-tec.com/
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
nooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,452
Default

He's indicated he is trying. I'm sure at some point he will, but his prices can pretty high.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 3:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
fmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,116
Default

I emailed Mr Yoshida asking if his new fz3 adapter could be used on the fz4/5 and he said it cannot. Apparently producing an adapter for the fz4/5 is quite a bit more complicated than even the fz3. The fz1/2/10/15/20 are all relatively simple threaded affairs. I guess Panasonic felt the fz3 and, to a greater extent, the fz4/5 should be more of a challenge for Mr Yoshida.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:45 AM.