Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 4, 2005, 1:14 AM   #1

Hello all! I really miss you guys. I have been really busy. I finally got my Canon EOS 20D. It is a great camera but it is more like a tool.The more I shoot with the Canon, the more I miss my FZ20, which is sitting beside me as I type. When I shoot outdoors I use my FZ20, I really prefer it. If I am indoors I take the 20D. And I have said it before, but I really hope Panasonic comes out with a newer version of the 20D, it is my favorite camera of all time, but the issues of noise, focus and speed can't be ignored. If it is taken care of (hopefully a larger sensor and multi focusing points) I think it would qualify as being one of the best cameras ever! Right now I think with all things considered the EOS 20D is one of the best cameras ever made, with the exception of image quality (you can't compare it to medium format quality). With that said, at 5fps, ISO up to 3200, instant start uptime, practically nill shutter lag and a shitload of adjustable features, I really don't think that there is a better camera made. But I still like the FZ20 better. And it honestly feels more "professional" than the 20D. The 20D has a plasticky look, but it does feel sturdy like the true workhorse that it is, and I am not crazy with the way it looks. The FZ20 with the Phayee adapter looks to me more like a pro camera, esp when you put the hama hood on it (I also got me a hama hood for the 20D). Also the LCD screen is terrible, both quality and size, I think it is 1.8 but it looks more like 1.7, and I am used to my FZ20, where you look at the LCD and you wish the pic viewed anywhere else would look as good. Canon really could have put a better screen on there.

Some people from this forum have been pming me about posting some pics from the new camera, I really hope you guys don't mind. For now I just have one shot that I would like to share. The 20D has a pretty big learning curve, but I have it down, already. Saturday nite, I was at Ringling Bros. @ Madison Square Garden. At the beginning when they shoot the clowns out of the canon, I had my camera focused on the canon, and when they did the countdown (three, two, one...), at the vocalization of "one"I hit the shutter and held it down as the clowns started flying out of the canon. I was shooting at ISO 3200, the aperture was wide open at f5.6, and I was shooting at believe it or not 1/8 of a second, the IS was on. I really need to get a faster lens for the camera. Tell me what you think, here it is:
Attached Images

Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2005, 1:36 AM   #2

I like the tracer of the person being fired out of the cannon.. It would have been slick if you could actually see the person at the end of the trace.. I don't know how to achieve that, it just would have been cool. I guess in software, it would be a motion blur.

After skimming your review of the 20D, I think I would have expected more from it.. 2 completely different cameras, I realize that but I guess there are trade offs.. ISO 3200 for a plasticy feel.. That sort of thing.. Not that I would ever use the ISO 3200.. I'd say between the 2, FZ20 and 20D, you have one heck of a camera... :-):-):-)

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:56 AM   #3

I think if I shot at a slower shutter speed there would be more of a tracer of the person, but the whole pic would be blurry unless I put it on a tripod. Here is the second (and only other) picture where you see the second person being shot out of the canon, and the first person is a blur on the top left of the photo, it is a little hard to make out, but he is there:
Attached Images

Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:32 AM   #4

My two Cameras are a Canon A300 and Lumix FZ20.
Never used a dSLR.

I can't believe what you say although it must be that FZ20 is no point and shoot and 20D still less.

My FZ20 is great for its zoom, image definition and macro.
I consider noise a very feeble issue: better if it was not there, but easy to remove and one does not even have to do that always.

It has however some irritating problems with large Dynamic range scenes, color casts and WB color shifts. I d vote it 79 to 89/100.

A300 is a P&S , no optical zoom, 33mm WA. Fine macros.
Resolution is poor and its 3Mp pics look bad full res, worse than FZ20 full size 5Mp shots. No comparison on this.

Yet most of the pics from A300 have better colors than FZ20, and in vivid mode they ar fine saturated, far better than FZ20 High Satur. setting.
The pics are also better exposed, very easy to achieve the best with it.

About the cam characteristics (independent from image quality) FZ20 is better than A300 in everything except for sixe and Battery life.

So it is very hard for me to believe that you use FZ20 outdoor, for in non tele shots I d expect 20D have better exposition and colors than FZ20.

Maybe it's all a matter of learning to use them.

My FZ20-A300 galleries
http://digilander.libero.it/peribsen/indice.htm

Francesco

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 11:09 AM   #5

Nancy

Thanks for posting pics with the 20D and your thoughts on it compared to the FZ20. Did you just purchase the standad cam with lens or pickup any additonal lenses for it ? I'm suprised the build quality isn't as good as the FZ20 and how do you find the optical viewfinder?

Just curious

Harj

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 12:02 PM   #6

Good shots anyway... I think it takes a special kind of a nut to want to be shot out of a cannon... Even if posing for Canon.. :G

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:29 AM   #7

I bought the 17-85mm lens, which comes with the camera as a kit. Their standard kit comes with an 18-55mm lens (I'm pretty sure of those numbers), which comes with the digital rebel as well.

And don't get me wrong, the body is sturdy, and heavy, but I think the FZ20 plastic looks like metal, whereas the 20D looks like plastic. A minor issue, or even a non issue. I took the camera out today with my nieces and with the 5fps I shot almost 600 pics in under a half hour. I am going to start looking into serious storage!
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:52 AM   #8

Is it just my eyes, or is the picture not totally in focus? I would have expected more out of a $1500.00 camera. Just my 2 cents. Though I like the way you framed the picture. If it was more in focus with the background a little softer it would have been a blast of a pic. JMHO.
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:55 AM   #9

If you're shooting 1200 pics an hour and the 20D shutter is rated at 100,000 clicks, the camera's gonna last you about 85 hours.
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 2:25 AM   #10

I think the canon is a bit overexposed. And for whatever reason the overexposed areas that night at the circus, esp when the spotlight was on a performer, it looks a little out of focus, I don't know if it is because of the sensor, or maybe the autofocus had a bit of trouble, it's hard to say.

And if the camera is only rated at 100,000 shots, then I better get 'em all in b4 my warranty runs out!!!!!