Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:15 AM   #1

Weren't we on the subject? :G I've seen various comments posted about the possible value of mushrooms in the creative processso this may be of interest to some those who want to cultivate their own :blah:. Also, thought it was just plain interesting LOL.

My exploring on the weekend took me smack dab into an organic food market where a stall was selling Shitake Mushroom logs. Apparently this is a moderatelyeasy way to grow them at home. Properly cared for the logs last 5 years years or so and produce approx 2 lbs of mushrooms. It's quite a process to make these - they're already 1 - 2 years old when they you buy them.

From their web site (isn't the internet amazing - even the mushroom farmers have their own site and online ordering!!!) We have been growing Shiitake (pronounced Shi it tak eh) mushrooms on logs at Ragmans for nine years. The idea comes from Japan, where Shiitake cultivation has been practised for centuries. We innoculate freshly cut oak logs with Shiitake mycelia using sawdust plugs. The logs are then stored on the farm for a period of one to two years to allow the mycelia to grow throughout the length of the wood. When colonisation is complete they will throw up fruiting bodies - mushrooms! This fruiting process can be initiated by soaking the logs, and is also triggered by temperature changes in the spring and autumn.

* They also make scrumptious apple juice - organic of course - the ingredient list is: apples!

Attached Images

suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2005, 6:16 PM   #2

very edible stuff

chop up the Mushrooms
Pan fry
olive oil
garlic to taste
diced red onion
dash of brandy
Garnish with chopped parsley.

Crusty white bread
Red wine

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 4:16 AM   #3

Thanks John, I'll try that :-). And thanks for the reply to one of my stranger posts, LOL. I make the mistake sometimes where I think something is interesting to me so it should interest everyone! :blah:
Old Apr 5, 2005, 5:15 AM   #4

Suze...

Here in Pennsylvania (where I "really" live) a 'burb south of Philly, it's a big mushroom farmin' territory (Chadds Ford), also I have a friend in New Jersey who is a mushroom farmer. They're forever giving me bags of 'schrooms. Interestingly, the now popular "portabella" schrooms, they said they used to throw away. Nobody wanted them a few years ago. They have a BIG house a block from the beach... There's $$$$ in schrooms!

Schrooms are actually fantastic for your immune system. I love'em, always did. Can't have a steak w/o shrooms.

They also make a lovely chapeau!

... AND they're edible

N

... favorite flick of all time - "Attack of the Mushroom People". aka Matango. 1961 d. Ishiro Honda (the "keeper of the grain", assistant director for Kuwasara) Recently re-issued in all it's splendor on dvd. I named one of my cats (rip) "Roy" based on a character in the film.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:10 AM   #5

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
... favorite flick of all time - "Attack of the Mushroom People". aka Matango. 1961 d. Ishiro Honda (the "keeper of the grain", assistant director for Kuwasara) Recently re-issued in all it's splendor on dvd. I named one of my cats (rip) "Roy" based on a character in the film.
Hmm, I see I can get it at Amazon for £15.96, pretty steep! But after a glowing recommendation like this . . must be worth it!

And thanks for the additional shroom info - we can never learn too much can we? :-)
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:12 PM   #6

suze wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, I see I can get it at Amazon for £15.96, pretty steep!** But after a glowing recommendation like this . . must be worth it!
Well, that flick is absolutely an acquired taste. If you like bizarro-atmospheric Japanese sci-fi/horror. I like off-beat films, especially the 60's stuff.

Quartermass and the Pit is one of my fave's from the Brits. Love all the old Hammer stuff too, if you're familiar.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:08 AM   #7

Suze, Boyzo and Nick

thanks for this funny and appetizing thread.

Francesco
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:10 AM   #8

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Suze, Boyzo and Nick

thanks for this funny and appetizing thread.

Francesco
Most of the credit goes to Suze a quite special lady and Nick... well he has a wit and a way with words....

As for Movies .... well

Any votes for Alain Delon http://www.alaindelon.com/en/ very smooth guy and John-Paul Belmondo a french cool tough gallic individual both from 60's
probably the best B&W movies from europe...
And if its women well Catherine Deneuve from france quite special once again B&W quite a woman...
http://catherine.deneuve.actricesdefrance.org/
Not to forget Jacques Tati the french master of satire "Mon Oncle" wonderfull film http://www.tativille.com/
A bit off topic
try the links tho'
:-)
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:53 AM   #9

Why thank you, sir, for your kind words. And thanks for the film recs too... been on an old(er) film binge of late. As for Ms. Deneuve... (sighs...). Women were so much prettier then. (Not to mention classier...)
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:27 AM   #10

Thanks very much for the kind words - although you really shouldn't - it will only encourage me :blah:.

And Nick . . .

"Women were so much prettier then. (Not to mention classier...) "

you know things like this maycome back to haunt you . . . of course you do :G