Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 4, 2005, 11:09 PM   #11

cool stuff that lens really has some macro power!

This is literally the 3rd picture I took after putting my new 6t on, all I did was turn the camera around, guestimate a foot, and stare down the lens. Needless to say I was shocked how perfectly it worked!:lol:
resized and auto leveled to make a bit more vivid.
Attached Images

kiwi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 11:15 PM   #12

Not sure what you tried to focus, eyelashes or eyes???

Maybe this thread should be called "4 human eyelash macros"

BTW, great detail, the Raynox DCR250 is a powerful lens.

Regards,
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:00 AM   #13

Is it just me or does anybody else have trouble focusing with either the Nikon 4t (or 6t) as well as the Raynox DCR-250? They only work at one exact distance, correct? Or do you find that there is a range in which the auto focus works?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:15 AM   #14

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:17 AM   #15

Nick, great closeups. The eyelashes are so right on.

Question, why did you decide to make the eyelashes and skin your primary focus, rather than the eye? Just curious.

Hiroshi

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 4:48 AM   #16

Amazing detail Nick.You obviously have great control over the macro lens to have taken these handheld :-)
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 5:04 AM   #17

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Nick Trop. Those are great shots. I also have the Raynox DCR-250, but have not used it much. I find it too tough to focus handheld since the adapter only works at one precise distance and if you are off by just a couple of mm it's out of focus. Did you use a tripod for these images? I want to get the camera stand from Raynox, but after spending close to $1000 on my FZ20 with all its gear, I am holding back for now.

How do you manage to get the exact distance for the DCR-250?
Yeah... this macro lens is tough. These were hand-held... 1/2000 shutter speed, at F8. Very hard to use this lens w/o a tripod. As you can see the dof is the width of an eyelash. Any movement by me or the subject...

By the way, an advantage of digicams is they synch at all shutter speeds, unlike DSLRs. You couldn't' use these settings and a flash with any DSLR, except the Nikon D70, which like digicams, uses an electronic flash.

Don't blame you for holding off on the tripod. Stuff starts to add up, dunnit?

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
Nick, great closeups. The eyelashes are so right on.

Question, why did you decide to make the eyelashes and skin your primary focus, rather than the eye? Just curious.

Hiroshi
:G ... Thank you! Truthfully, I didn't "decide" on any primary focus. Actually, I used spot focus and focused on the color difference between the whites and the iris. The DCR 250 has a very, very, very shallow dof - even at f8.

Kiwi, NICE eyeball shot! : ) The Nikon 6t is a much more "user-friendly" macro lens. I think I would have purchased this over the Raynox. Nothing wrong with the Raynox, it's just too powerful, and tough to use.

Jake - agree. For their faults, these shots illustrate the level of detail you can get with 2 (lousy, stinkin') megapixels.

Thanks for giving these a look, all. Here's lookin' at you! :G
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:09 AM   #18

Nick, interesting shots. But, I would prefer the irises to be in focus instead of the eye lashes. #4 is a nice variation. Thanks for sharing! -- Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:15 AM   #19

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Nick Trop. Those are great shots. I also have the Raynox DCR-250, but have not used it much. I find it too tough to focus handheld since the adapter only works at one precise distance and if you are off by just a couple of mm it's out of focus. Did you use a tripod for these images? I want to get the camera stand from Raynox, but after spending close to $1000 on my FZ20 with all its gear, I am holding back for now.
rduve, I am thinking of splurging and getting a Gitzo Explorer G2227 tripod. It looks very flexible and would be nice for macro work with the tilting center pole.

Later,
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:13 PM   #20

Gospel wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
rduve, I am thinking of splurging and getting a Gitzo Explorer G2227 tripod. It looks very flexible and would be nice for macro work with the tilting center pole.

Later,
Steven

Thanks for the tip, Steven, but that tripod seems to run over $450. That makes the Raynox stand look like nothing at about $100. Not in my budget at this time. I have my 3rd boy in the oven, you know? Also, I already have a nice tripod, just need a Macro stand.

But if it's the right fit for you and you have the budget for it. By all means, get it. Looks like a great product.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote