Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:30 AM   #21

huge stuff very huge
idhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:18 AM   #22

owenflynn.com wrote:
Quote:
Amiroqui,

That is absolutely fantastic. Do you know what the rubber plate was originally for or from?

Owen
thanks
I got it from this rubber factory near my house they make them for different uses in diff thickness levels and softness (from 1-10)
I just walked in and asked them if they had any 8 mm (since my steel plate was 6 mm) thick ones that arent too soft, that can be used for better grip in between smooth surfaces.
they gave me this generous 40cmx40cm piece of it they had no usage in for free
it kind of feels like the rubber of a normal tire only a bit softer.
I cut off the major lines using an exacto knife , then sanded the rest off to get the round edges using fine sand paper (this is what gave it the factory made professional finish.
I'm kinda annoyed about the back part of it , I was trying to save myself some work and so I used on of the oroginal big plates edges to start the cutting from .
and it was a simple straight line...could have done it in no time...
that's the casting line you see across the back of it, that goes through the middle . and that's after fine sanding it a little , trying to make it go away.
oh well, I might just make a new one someday with the scraps I have left.
the secret is the sanding, it's the most time consuming part of the modifying of this grip - the more time you put in it , the better it looks.
Amiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:29 AM   #23

idhik wrote:
Quote:
huge stuff very huge
thanks!
the more and more I shoot with it , the more I'm happy I had decided to experiment with it.
it's such a great addition to my FZ-20
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:01 PM   #24

FZ20 Tripod bracket, wired remote,wireless remote and a remote LCD monitor.

Tripod bracket:

I wanted to mount camera on a tripod on the camera's centerline and on it's center of gravity with different camera/lens stacks. Without the bracket the camera on a tripod was nose heavy. Had to tighten pitch adjustment too much..

Mount camera on it's center of gravity with TCON 17 attached and with C210 and the TCON 17 stack. Put bracket on camera the put a round pen under camera/bracket/no lens/one lens/two lenses to find center of gravity.

Attach DPS 9000 on bracket and not under camera. Do not like the lack of stiffness when sandwiched between camera and bracket.

Made wired remote for $3. Wireless remote $32. Wired remote LCD monitor with hand held TV $55.

Bracket pic:
Attached Images

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:42 PM   #25

Amoroquai, I am slowly gathering the pieces to make this grip, one question about the DPS9000, I see buy your pictures you have taken it out of the case it comes in, does that destroy the case or is there a way to gently remove it for later re-use?

Thanks
atomicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 7:14 AM   #26

Fantastic grip, and free info for other FZ20 fans. What is the lens in this photo?
Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:58 PM   #27

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Good idea:idea:
Very good idea
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:20 PM   #28

atomicfish wrote:
Quote:
Amoroquai, I am slowly gathering the pieces to make this grip, one question about the DPS9000, I see buy your pictures you have taken it out of the case it comes in, does that destroy the case or is there a way to gently remove it for later re-use?

Thanks
the case is safe, and this process is reversible.
there are two screws, one on each side under those two yellow Digipower stickers .
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:15 PM   #29

A few more pics that were taken last week
forgive me for the bad quality

The next one could have been a winner if panasonic had placed the shutter button like they have on the FZ5 ,a hand strap could have been attached for even better comfort. I have one of those straps and they're not comfortable to use with the FZ20's shutter button location , too bad...

ahhhh finally! some rest for the pinky

Okay so this is how I take my vertical shots(I've given up on the vertical shutter modification idea, since this one is comfortable enough for me) : left hand is holding the camera on the canon grip , it feels right even for right handed people ,thanks to the great grip that the Canon BP provides , right hand slightly kicks in just to give it the fine stabilization and to hit the shutter button (very comfortable)

That's all folks , I hope you liked.

Amir
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:28 PM   #30

Bells wrote:
Quote:
Fantastic grip, and free info for other FZ20 fans. What is the lens in this photo?
It's not a Lens , but a Hama collapsible sun-hood and a metal screw on lens cap (may not be the most comfortable to use , but it provides the ultimate protection...).
Amir