Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 7, 2005, 4:02 AM   #21

I was an ID major at Pratt Institute (industrial design). I also had a brief stint in Parsons School of design with a fashion design major. I hold a BFA and an MBA (just tryin' to establish some credentials, here). I am currently an art director, and I would like to say that the FZ20 does not look "hideous", it is like a 35mm lite camera, almost stealth looking. Plus it gets much cooler looking when you add on all of the accesories. I think the Canon powershots are more "hideous" looking, at least the design of the cameras make them look weird.

Talking about ugly, the Canon EOS 20D is an ugly mother f*****, I should know, I own one! I really am not crazy with the way it looks, but I need it for the work I do, and it is a great camera. And the more I use it, the more I realize how great of a camera the FZ20 is. And both cameras have some serious flaws in them, but all cameras do. That isn't the point. Somebody could give a great photographer (let's say Nick or Willow, for the fun of it) the worst rated digital camera on the market today, and they would come back with great pictures, it is just a tool. Do you ever see two men at a construction site arguing that there hammer is the better tool? We here are just learning how to hammer better, there is no reason to make fun of our hammers, if you don't like it, then don't buy it, or better yet Elphman, why don't you just hit yourself over the head with it, maybe it will knock some sense into you! Have a god night and a pleasant tomorrow, everyone!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 4:54 AM   #22

Good, Nancy. You hit the nail right on its head, with a good hammer that too!
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 4:57 AM   #23

Why bite on a camera he has probably never used?

I bought my FZ20 because I used a Kodak DX and 2 Canon Powershot S1 IS's previously and wasn't that happy with them, but the FZ20 was just better and I have taken over 2000 photo's since the middle of last month.

Not biting, just saying I prefer my FZ20 to Kodak/Canon through personal experience and not only what I "read" in reviews.

I had 2 (yip 2) Canon S1 IS and both were faulty (e24 error code and WAY too many dead pixels on sensor - big red glob just off centre). Serial numbers were thousands apart so not from same batch and look at the forums for eXX error codes. Canon's tech support leaves a lot to be desired to. Kings you say? More like lets mass produce as many cameras and flood the market.

megapixel.net = expert review (you are joking, right?)

Finally where did "Gods of all digital cameras" come from?
r0nn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:02 AM   #24

Elphman wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic is a highly reputable company that makes great eletronic devices; their digital cameras are considered one of the best out there, I guess. If you ask me, after reading numerous reviews of the Panasonic line of cameras, namely the popular DMC series cameras, they are no better than, say Canon cameras.
In response to this,it reads as though you haven't even been to a camera store to pick up a camera (Panasonic or other)to trythem for yourself. You seem to be relying solely on information posted byother people who have tried and compared them.Were you not told growing up,or have you not learned in life, not to believe everything you read/hear. The best way to confirm what you have read/heard is to actually try one of these GEMS and compare them with other camera's in person, not by here-say.

When you are looking to select a piece of equipment (not limited to camera's by the way)that you will be using for some time on a daily, weekly, whatever basis,the best way to select said equipment is to know what you need, the limitations of it, and what suits YOU best. If Panasonic cameras don't fit the bill,then don't buy one. Simple!!!!

Obviously the Panasonic line of camera's is quite popular with a lot of people. People who know what they require in a camera and have decided that the Panasonic's suit them best.

Don't come here spruking about how bad they are if you haven't even tried one.

Please do yourself a favour and go to the camera store (withYOUR requirements in mind) and pick up a bloody camera.Select the one that is right for YOU.

Just trying to help an obviously confused individual.
Brenno9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:49 AM   #25

In the end I dont care what someone else thinks about my camera. I love my FZ10, it has introduced me to the world of photography and I have never regretted buying it. Is there a better model out there, I dont care as my FZ10 does what I want with some pretty good results.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:54 AM   #26

Elphman wrote:
Quote:
http://http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ5-Digital-Camera-Review-.htm]http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ5-Digital-Camera-Review-.htm]http://http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ5-Digital-Camera-Review-.htm[/url]

I apologize in advance if my post upset some of you, it wasn't the intent to denigrate the proud owners of Panasonic digital cameras (save the FZ20 - don't know how else to say this but I will say it, it is one of the most hideous looking cameras I've ever seen. It's huge, heavy, basically not asthetically appealing). Anyhow, a lot of you failed to address my simplistic post, considering it was the biggest no brainer post in the history of mankind (boy, was I wrong!), on the said issues concerning Panasonic cameras. Look, they are no better, okay, than other high zoom cameras, let alone, small compact cameras (btw, very disappointed to hear that the new Lumix LZ1 & LZ2 cameras lack EVF). For the best bang for the money, I'd easily go with the Canon SD500 - considered the hottest small compact camera in the market right now. I own the S410 model and it probably blows away any small Panasonic cameras and other brands as well. Canon is KING in the small compact camera market. Period.

But back to the DMC camera series. I've read two expert reviews from Dcresourse and megapixel.net, and while both reviewers did great job in their extensive review of the new DMC-FZ5 camera (aka "the best 12X ultra zoom camera") , you can't help but sense some level of bias in favor of the camera. I guess what I'm trying to say is they make the DMC-FZ5 sound as if it was the best thing to happen to the digital camera world since man landed on moon. Which leads me to share with the rest of you another review site I came across, a FAR less biased review of the camera. A caveat: this reviewer doesn't blow sunshine like the others did so brace yourself if you find some feedbacks offensive.

Honest question, did you guys really do your research, long and hard, before surrendering yourself to the "Gods of all digital cameras?"

Peace.

Hi ya mate! well, your just hilarious, you should show up more often. Come on tell us another joke and I may even give you a banana!

Peace

Harj

:blah:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 6:01 AM   #27

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
I was an ID major at Pratt Institute (industrial design). I also had a brief stint in Parsons School of design with a fashion design major. I hold a BFA and an MBA (just tryin' to establish some credentials, here). I am currently an art director, and I would like to say that the FZ20 does not look "hideous", it is like a 35mm lite camera, almost stealth looking. Plus it gets much cooler looking when you add on all of the accesories. I think the Canon powershots are more "hideous" looking, at least the design of the cameras make them look weird.

Talking about ugly, the Canon EOS 20D is an ugly mother f*****, I should know, I own one! I really am not crazy with the way it looks, but I need it for the work I do, and it is a great camera. And the more I use it, the more I realize how great of a camera the FZ20 is. And both cameras have some serious flaws in them, but all cameras do. That isn't the point. Somebody could give a great photographer (let's say Nick or Willow, for the fun of it) the worst rated digital camera on the market today, and they would come back with great pictures, it is just a tool. Do you ever see two men at a construction site arguing that there hammer is the better tool? We here are just learning how to hammer better, there is no reason to make fun of our hammers, if you don't like it, then don't buy it, or better yet Elphman, why don't you just hit yourself over the head with it, maybe it will knock some sense into you! Have a god night and a pleasant tomorrow, everyone!
A Camera is a tool a Hammer WOW I will shoot my images with a hammer and bang nails in with my canon 1D

lumix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 6:55 AM   #28

Steve or Jim

How about we kill this thread - its just taking up valuable space on the site.

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:47 AM   #29

I agree.
r0nn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 9:21 AM   #30

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote