Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:19 PM   #1

Well, I bit the $$ bullet and bought the R72, just to try it out.. I figured if I couldn't use it on the FZ20, I have film cameras I can use it with.. Went for the 62mm to fit the Phayee adapter and also because that's the thread size of my film camera lenses that I'm likely to try this with.. It arrived kind of late in the day so I didn't get much chance to get out and play with it today but here are 6 from the first effort.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v285/j...20%20InfraRed/

Exposures for the most part (#s bet 30170 - 30193), ISO 200, Shutter priority, 2 sec @f2.8.. Tripod and self timer used for all of them.. Point camera in general direction and shoot.

How do you FZ1 guys frame your shots?? Do you remove the filter and then put it back on for the photo? -OR- can you actually see on the screen what's going on?? My Fuji has a viewfinder so it isn't a problem..

http://photobucket.com/albums/v285/j...00%20InfraRed/

(taken with an old Rolleiflex IR filter )

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:54 PM   #2

Are these straight from the camera? Thefz20/r72 shots are much better than the fugi shots. Can't you framein P, A, or S mode? Set the white balance manually to the ambient light with the r72 on. At 2 sec youwant zero wind.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:39 PM   #3

Straight from the camera other than your suggested channel mix and autolevels. The fuji shots are played with a lot in most cases.. The Rolleiflex filter actually has a correction glass in it to compensate for the different focal lengths of regular and IR light.. As you may or may not know, there is no Red IR mark on the focus scale of a Rolleiflex. Both panasonic and fuji have the same reference for WB (the siding on my house). I found with the fuji pics, to just get the pinkish greenery, better to mix the red and green opposed to the red and blue..

No, With the filter on, I can't see anything on the screen. Of course, the sunlight was hitting the screen so that may be part of the reason. I expected it to be quite dark but not completely black. I had to actually check and make sure I had removed the lens cap. After taking the pictures though, I could see that I got Something..

Yep.. 2 seconds is a long time and I do have a lot of blurry pictures.. IS doesn't help much when the wind kicks up and moves the subject.. Even the 1/4 sec shots with the fuji tend to blur a little. I was just pleased to see that it worked and I hadn't completely wasted my money on the R72.. Now I can't wait for A: the leaves to bloom on the trees and B: for the fall when they change colors again..

Jeff
:G
Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:25 AM   #4

Well, these shots do suggest that ir photpgraphy can be accomplished with thefz20 at ~2 sec exposures. And since you'll be using a tripod anyway, you can get cleaner shots using iso80.

Playing around with the manual wb can get some interesting results. For instance, try setting the wb inside under florescent light with the r72 in place and then take some shots outdoors leaving that wb setting on. It gives some neat sepia-tinged ir.

This straight from the fz1v2 in less than bright sunlight.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip.. I intend to experiment heavily.. I think though I'm going to save the pennies and get a monopod to avoid carrying a heavy tripod around. In the meantime though it'll be a fun to continue the trek into the IR world.. I'll post more when I have them.

Jeff
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:26 PM   #6

Look forward to seeing any and all posts from you using the FZ20 andthe IR filter Jeff. I love the IR photos and have wished the FZ20 had the capability. :O
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:56 PM   #7

suze wrote:
Quote:
I love the IR photos and have wished the FZ20 had the capability. :O
It does.. You just have to be patient.. The 6 I currently show were the best of about 30 (all the same subjects).. Just at the moment of shutter operation a stong wind would come up and move something though it was calm for 60 seconds before hand. :angry:

When it works though, it's great.

Jeff
Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:57 PM   #8

Bump...

I'm back with some more tests.. Thought I would bump the original rather than start a new thread..

http://photobucket.com/albums/v285/j...20%20InfraRed/

A lot of these photos are basically the same as the original 6. The new ones (238-266) were all taken with the EV dialed up to +2. I don't really know what it affects, exif doesn't report any change in the base settings (iso 80 f2.8 ). That allowed me to use a faster shutter speed and I was even able to get a couple decent handheld shots ( elevated; 265 and 266 ).. The photos of the dog were all taken at either 1/2 or 5/8 second. Still too windy here to mess much with small apertures and longer shutter speeds.. One thing I didn't do was reset the white balance which might account for the blue tint in the whites.. Incedentally, I COULD see to frame the shots on the screen as well as the EVF..

Jeff
Old Apr 8, 2005, 5:42 PM   #9

Great stuff. I'm partial to the shot of the tree. If you're really into it, you might consider a dedicated ir shooter. It's nice to be able to do this hand-held at faster shutter speeds, sans tri-pod, with less concern about the wind causing motion blur.

Nice series.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:25 PM   #10

Thanks.. I would like to add an FZ1v2 to the arsonal but the piggy bank is pretty dry from the FZ20, Phayee, Nikon 6t, and the Hoya R72.. It will be several months before I can think about another camera.. For now I don't mind using a tripod..

Jeff