Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:12 AM   #1

Hi. I'm about ready to purchase an FZ20, but I wanted to double check with those of you who actually have one.

Is this camera a great choice for indoor (fairly low light) and outdoor pictures of people?

Also, is it capable of producing portrait quality pictures for enlargements?

I'm really not THAT interested in the zoom at this time, I just thought it would be good to have, unless the camera won't do a great job for my purposes. My main goal is image quality.

If you have any input for me, thanks in advance.
MistyR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:31 AM   #2

MistyR75 wrote:
Quote:
Hi. I'm about ready to purchase an FZ20, but I wanted to double check with those of you who actually have one.

Is this camera a great choice for indoor (fairly low light) and outdoor pictures of people?

I'm really not THAT interested in the zoom at this time, I just thought it would be good to have, unless the camera won't do a great job for my purposes. My main goal is image quality.

I think my FZ-20 does pretty will with indoor fairly low light pictures when you combine it with a decent external flash and diffuser. I've attached a few shots taken at Easter with my Sunpak 422D and Lightsphere II diffuser. For outdoor shots of people the FZ's do great, IMO, and there are plenty of examples of those shots already on the forum if you look for them.

Personally I thinkif you are not interested in the zoom I might consider looking at a different camera designed especially for the low light/portrait shots you plan on taking (e.g. a Nikon D70 DSLR perhaps?). I say that because the zoom lensis the really outstanding feature on this camera IMO and if you aren't really interested in that aspect of photography why pay for it? I will say I LOVE tha zoom, can't live without the zoom, and now find it difficult to use other cameras because I always miss the zoom.
Attached Images

beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:32 AM   #3

Another
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:32 AM   #4

One more
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:39 AM   #5

These are not my photos but there are people pictures and pet pictures and I do not think Theresa will mind.

http://www.pbase.com/theresa_k
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:54 AM   #6

MistyR75 wrote:
Quote:

Good but NOT great. It has problems with white balance and its' effect on skin tones. This has been much discussed here. It is relatively easily dealt with during post processing of the image by tweaking the hues and saturation. Others say using manual white balance in advance is the answer and I agree this helps but has not eliminated the issue for me.

Example below: Left is unmodified; Right is adjusted using Hue +15 (I've actually gone too far with this one but it was early in my use of camera and now my work flow is a bit more refined)

Quote:
If anything the lense may be too sharp for some of your subjects and you will want to soften the image with post processing or by manipulating the camera while shooting (ie: slight out of focus using the manual focus ring & MF Assist enabled - can't do that easily with most other 5MP digicams!!)

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 1:26 PM   #7

I think the zoom will come in handy for outdoor candid shots of your toddler.
rebelpcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:49 PM   #8

MistyR75 wrote:
Quote:

These were all taken indoors with flash.. Some external and some on camera.. I think you'll be able to tell the difference.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v285/jjmel/Kiddies/

I don't think you'll have any problems with print quality. I will second the thought that the zoom is great to have.. Even indoors. A lot of these shots are resized only and taken with 6x-10x zoom. The advantage of the zoom is that you DON'T have to crop or at least very much.. Leaving you with a lot more picture info to make your quality prints.

THESE, were taken with the on camera flash, except for the dog pictures..

http://photobucket.com/albums/v285/j...s/2005March20/

They are not corrected but can be.. Also a lot of things were reflecting onto the kid such as the bright red table cloth.. The camera actaully had to be aimed downward so the flash light was bouncing off of the table cloth. I've gotten MUCH better with the on camera flash but these are probably the worse (I put the photos up to show someone else that the kid wasn't thrilled with his new hair-do).. In my particular situation, I've yet to find the most favorable setting (but I'm getting there) for indoor on camera flash shots. The flash Can be diffused using several very inexpensive methods which will improve it greatly. However, if you intend to take a lot of photos (and you will) you may want to look into an inexpensive external flash.

If your toddler has light colored eyes (blue for instance), red-eye reduction is marginal at best on this camera so I simply don't use it.. It's a 2 flash sequence 1 second apart and by the time the actual flash fires (the second one) people have begun to move in most cases. I don't think very much of this feature on ANY camera.. The best way to get rid of red eye is to get the flash further from the lens. Anyway, I bring this up because I'm sure you've noticed there are 2 different kids on the pictures.. The older one has brown eyes and I've NEVER gotten a red eye shot with him using the on cam flash.. The other one has blue eyes and with the on camera flash ALL of them where he is looking even in the general direction of the camera, have red eye.. All of the above will apply to dogs as well by the way..

I'm probably giving you way more info than you want but we want you to be happy with your FZ20..

Good luck,
Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:38 AM   #9

SOME PEOPLE PICTURES.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:41 AM   #10

Some more pople.

SOME MORE.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote