Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:06 PM   #1

I have tried to follow instructions on attaching the lens hood adaptor to the letter but nothing...
I am able to push the adapter in the position a but not able to rotate it to lock thus the adapter just slides off camera if tilted.When it is in position it is stuck and can nto be turned witouth it falling off the little dent bit.
Has anyone else had this problem? There seems to be no "wheel" that is moving to turn clockwise.(the instruction is to move it to lock position ...but nothing moves!) The piece is solid!
Could my hood adapter be faulty somehow???
Where can I have it looked at as FZ5 is not in shops here yet? Or am I just doing something very wrong. The manual I find is not very informative at all on troubles one might face.The trouble-shooter pages are very bad indeed. ONly listing a few problems that migth come up.
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:26 PM   #2

I think it works like the fz3. Maybe someone with that camera can help.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:03 PM   #3

I have an FZ5 and have managed to fit the lens hood adaptor, so I hope I can help (if I manage to explain things in an understandable way!).

With the adaptor not attached to the camera you should be able to rotate it. There's one part with white markings on it and one part with writing on it (unlock/lock) – these are the two parts that rotate. Once you've got this to work (it does need a little force as it clicks into both the unlock and lock position), you need to click it into place so that the two white lines are aligned with Unlock. Then turn the camera upside down and put the adaptor onto the lens – there is a small groove to help with this. Once it is fitted properly you need to rotate the adaptor so that the two white lines align with Lock and it clicks into place. Do this by holding the part on the adaptor nearest the camera body and rotate clockwise.

Good Luck.

Love the pics you've posted in your gallery by the way, some very nice FZ5 examples.
chalkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:14 AM   #4

Yes I can see the unlock and lock part and the black part with the two white dots but it does not move in any direction and feels totally solid. I dare not use too much force as it will break being made out of plastic...plus there is no way seemingly to get a better grip on the small black ring (my camera is silver so the bigger part is silver with just the small ring part in black).
Still at a loss as to what I can do. Is there a missing part or something? There are only two parts right? The adapter and the hood?
Old Apr 8, 2005, 5:01 AM   #5

There are only 2 parts - the adaptor and hood, so I think you have everything. You are right that there is no place to get a grip on the small ring (the large ring has the grip) - I think that's because once it is attached to the camera you rotate the large part. I was just suggesting you try to get it to rotate off the camera first to avoid any possible damage to the camera - but thinking about it now it might be better to do it on the camera - mine is quite hard to rotate off the camera and it is plastic.

On your adaptor are the 2 white lines currently aligned with Unlock? If so it is probably clicked in place - mine has a very slight movement in this position, but it's hardly noticeable. If your's is stiff then you won't see any movement.

Anyway below are a few pics that might help you see what is going on:

The lens adaptor in Unlock

The lens adaptor in Lock (just to show you it does rotate - NB. needs to be in UNLOCK position when attaching to camera)

Attaching to camera

Fully in position – still in unlock

Preparing to rotate

Fixed in position in lock

chalkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 3:10 PM   #6

Abslolutely a million plus thanks to you for the picture guide!!!!!!! I see I was being an idiot! I was putting the damn thing in the wrong way round i.e. the small black band first! huh!
:idea:
Nothing like an idiot newbie to get confused. In my defense I find the manual not clear on it at all...or maybe I am just naturally dim!

In any case I managed it immediately looking at your photos! I am very very grateful to you for your help and taking the time to take the pics etc!

THANK YOU!
Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:48 PM   #7

So the Adaptor and outer Lens Barrel go together with a Bayonet, not a thread as per the FZ1/3's.
If the outer lens barrel is plastic then Bayonet is easier to do than a fine metric thread so understand Panas choice.

If the leans barrel is metal its an Odd decision on Pana's part because a threaded coupling is far more secure.

The Pana precision moulded adaptor with / lock / unlock / will be hard to duplicate in a 3rd party aluminium adaptor, some fancy turning and milling will be required by the looks of things plus there is the lock to implement.

If they do the same for the for the FZ20 successor this would be retrograde.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote