Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 8, 2005, 7:58 PM   #11

Austintatious wrote:
Quote:
I also was convinced to get the FZ1 after reading this piece. I have never been sorry! It's just a great little camera that's easy & fun to use.I have a manual 35mm film camera I have not touched in over a year. I also have another digicam, a Canon A70. It takes very good pictures and so on,but I find myself reaching for the FZ1 most of the time when I want to photograph something:G It is more versatile and I dont think it has the
issues with "noise" that the newer FZ models seem to suffer from.
Bottom line is, that darn ZOOM is just so much fun ! I also love it when I show someone an 8X10 print and see the look of disbelief on their face when I tell them it's a two megapixel camera.:?::blah: Paid $250.00 for it new!

Charley
I share the exact same user experience. Paid same as you. And, I have beautiful framed 8X10s. A few third party add-ons (mainly a slave flash) really overcomes shortcomings (image quality is NOT one of them) mostly indoors, due to a weak flash. I posted a review a couple weeks ago of a $10,000 Kodak DSLR that came out in 2000-2001 where critics were gushing over its image quality because it had "a state-of-the-art, 2 megapixel" sensor.

I'm sure the new cameras are excellent, but I have absolutely zero desire to upgrade. I simply don't see what the extra $$$ would buy me that I haven't already compenstated for.

I'm toying with the idea of a DSLR in a year or so "maybe"? But man, I would sure miss that zoom.

N
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:17 AM   #12

Thanks Nick for that rather exhaustive list of add ons for the FZ1. I was VERY fortunate to be able to get an FZ1 on eBay for only $65. Of course, it was broken and I had to take it completely apart and "fix" the lens that had been struck by dropping or hitting, or whatever. I was totally successful in getting the lens back on the track and getting it together again and it works beautifully. I immediately took your advice and upgraded it to the FZ1(v2) firmware and am now starting to experiment with it.

I have had an FZ20 for about 5 months now and am very pleased with it as well. I thought because of the size of the FZ1, I would carry it around ALL the time so as not to miss the MANY shots that I have missed before when I wasn't specifically out to "take pictures."

Thanks to you and others that recommended the FZ1 and for all the great information that you guys and gals take the time to put up on this forum.

I'll post a few pics with this camera once I get some worth showing.
Jering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:43 AM   #13

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
fmoore wrote:
Quote:
boyzo wrote:
Quote:
Oddly if you visit the web sites for Dale or Riper there is no mention at all of their continued use of the FZ1 or FZXX successors.
Riper did do a piece on the fz10 but he wasn't as impressed with it.
Yes read that.
never used an FZ10 so don't know, I think the two Modes of OIS confused him as it does others even with FZ20 users.

Mode 1 is continuous Mode 2 is at the instant the shutter is pressed.

From what I have read Mode 1 is best for most users.

The FZ1 is like Mode 1 no choice but it works.
John

I read the FZ10 and the Leica Digilux D2 review too's not sure why he came to those points but I do agree about the lack of weight of the FZ10 considering its size - with the Oly WCON8B attached the FZ10 feels just right. ON the Digilux D2 reveiw he highlighted a couple of things he really liked, such as the manual focus ring and the way the LCD/EVF magnify's the centre but he failed to mention these for the FZ10. From what i could tell, I think he may have got himself an FZ1 but I could be wrong and Bruce is using the Pana LC5.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:46 AM   #14

Thanks Nick.

I imagine it will be a slow process for me, adding all those items to the camera, but hopefully they will be there when I finally move up to the FZ20(Or any newer model that may be out by then)

George.

wighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 4:27 PM   #15

wighter1 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Nick.

I imagine it will be a slow process for me, adding all those items to the camera, but hopefully they will be there when I finally move up to the FZ20(Or any newer model that may be out by then)

George.

It took me about 6 months(?) or so to acquire all that stuff. Kinda made it fun. Every month or so, I would treat myself. Sure $40 here, $30 there adds up but spread out, it doesn't break the bank.

View it as a little way to treat yourself... It's fun when this stuff arrives in the mail... I get all excited like a little kid. : )

I had plenty of fun with the n'ked camera, there's no need to get all that stuff at once.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote