Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:33 PM   #11

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 8:34 PM   #12

Good point. I noticed that I had to be very careful placing the camera down when the power on.

On another note, what is everyones opinion on Osawa filters? I see an auction for this and was thinking of placing a bid. The price is sure right, could it be its not a very good filter?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...507076406&rd=1

dengar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 8:19 PM   #13

I just now ordered the filter adapter from Nextphoto. Like it or not, I`ll letcha know when it arrives, how it fits, ...ect. I was in a camera shop in downtown Miami today and inquired about 55mm filters for my `20. The guy pulled out aSunpak UV and a Crystal Optics circular polarizer. I asked how much and he replied $40. I said, "Too much". He then asked me what I wanted to spend. I told him, "Less than $40"! He then said, "Okay, $30". I turned and started to walk away, and the he said "Okay, $20". I turned back to him and handed him a$20 dollar bill, picked up the filters and walked out the door. I have several Crystal Optics filters for my 35mm gear (but none are 55mm), including a 72mm circular polarizer,and I don`t have any complaints about Crystal Optics. I understand that a circular polarizer is not needed for the `20, a linear polarizer will work just fine.I`ve had 2 Sunpak flashes, but never a Sunpack filter. Now I just have to wait for the adapter to try it all out.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:06 AM   #14

I like the idea of the nexphoto adapter as well. With this adapter if you are not planning on adding external lenses looks like a part of the camera. Also with this adapter you can still use the panasonic adapter for the lense hood. No need to purchase another hood.
Dmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:15 PM   #15

All filters for the FZ zoom should be coated. The Sunpaks are not.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 6:17 PM   #16

Yeah, I think your right about the Sunpak filter not being coated. I was looking at the package that the filter came in last night,andno where does it mention coating. I`ll pick up one that is, ASAP. The Crystal Optics polarizing filter is multi-coated.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 6:35 PM   #17

PTB Stalker wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I think your right about the Sunpak filter not being coated. I was looking at the package that the filter came in last night,andno where does it mention coating. I`ll pick up one that is, ASAP. The Crystal Optics polarizing filter is multi-coated.
Ebay has them. It is a hoya standard UV, coated on both sides. That is all you need.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 6:54 PM   #18

Man, yer fast with the reply! There are numerous photo shops around town and I`ll stop by one during the week and snag a coatedUV. I was in a hurry when I bought the Sunpak filter yesterday and didn`t read the package first. Like my dear old aunt Lulubell used to always tell me, "Haste makes waste, you dumb *[email protected]#."
Old Apr 15, 2005, 5:36 PM   #19

Lots of great info here. Wish I would have read here first as I just bought a FZ20 from Butterfly photo last Friday and was talked into a Merkury 72mm black filter kit and a cheap battery that falls out of the charger (just like I read in another thread). Both were high priced too (though the camera was reasonable). I was able to barter with them but I still feel I paid too much now that I see what is available. Wish I had an Aunt Lulubell.

I hope Butterfly will refund the filter kit. On the invoice it says 10 day policy (which is tomorrow and they are closed on Saturdays), but on the website it says 14 day policy. Guess we shall see.

I just ordered the adapter from Nextphoto. I liked the fact that the filter is close to the lense as I have already had experience with the sun reflextion. I see it snaps into place though rather than threads. Has anyone had any experience with this set up, for instance can it fall out?
mcharley94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 7:29 PM   #20

Yo mcharley, I ordered the adapter from NextphotoMonday evening andI got an e-mail from them this afternoon telling me that they mailed it out today, from Canada, and it`ll be here in around a week. I also bought another UV filter yesterday, this time I made sure it was multicoated. I went by an old camera shop that`s been around since about the 60`s. The guy rumaged around through a drawer and hehad a Pentax 55mm, still in the original box, and I gave him $10 for it.

Next on my shopping list is the DPS-9000 battery pack. This battery mounts to the bottomof the `20 via the tripod screw hole. The 9000 has a tripod mounting screw on it`s bottom so the whole unit can be mounted. I`ve recieved messages from 2 individuals that have the `20/9000 combo and they both said that it works out just fine, and the 9000 battery lasts a heckuva lot longer than the internal battery. I found the 9000, via froogle.com for $40.

After that, it`ll probably be a hot shoe flash. Nick Trop says he has a digital flash from Vivitar that works out just fine, so I`ll be sure to do a little research on that soon. I do have a Vivitar 285 HV that has served my well over the years, so I`ll use that in the meantime, if I need to. Good luck on your efforts to return your recent purchases. Oh yeah, this afternoon I was at a local Radio Shack and they had LCD screen protectors there, $6 for 4, so grabbed those. The protectors are mylar sheets that you cut to fit and they help gaurd the LCDagainst scratches and boogers

Tomorrow afternoon I`m going to a vintage/old geezer rock concert. Rick Derringer is playing down the road from where I live, so I`ll grab my `20, and see what happens.

aranoid: