Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:13 PM   #1

I just finished reading the "Question about filters" thread and Im still as lost as ever. All I want is a UV filter to protect the lens and maybe a polarizer for outside in the sun for my new FZ20. The more I read the more I get confused, I see 52, 55, 58, 62, and 72mm filters and adapters that convert most if not all of them!

What does the size of the filter measure/mean and what is the difference in all of the sizes? Thanks!
dengar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:42 AM   #2

dengar69 wrote:
Quote:
I just finished reading the "Question about filters" thread and Im still as lost as ever. All I want is a UV filter to protect the lens and maybe a polarizer for outside in the sun for my new FZ20. The more I read the more I get confused, I see 52, 55, 58, 62, and 72mm filters and adapters that convert most if not all of them!

What does the size of the filter measure/mean and what is the difference in all of the sizes? Thanks!
That must have taken you all day.. Yes, It is confusing.. Let's sift it out real quick..

There are 3 ways (that I know of) to mount a filter to the FZ20.

First is with the supplied adapter. It may work with filters purchased from panasonic but leaves a LOT to be desired when using aftermarket filters. The first reason is it requires a 72mm (thread mount) filter.. Very expensive for something that isn't needed. Second reason is the adapter places the filter too far away from the lens leaving an air gap in which the writing on the front of the lens barrel will actually reflect back into the camera.

The second option is an aftermarket adapter by a company called Raynox.. See the details here, I can't discuss it further as I have no experience with them.. A lot of people do use them and are quite happy with them..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...505480293&rd=1

The third option, Phayee, the one I use..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

Only available from Rong Jin at the above link. I and many others here will vouch for him as being a reputable dealer. This adapter will allow you to use 62mm thread filters or you can buy step down rings as well. Simply tell him what you have, want to do, and he'll tell you what you need and how much it will cost. When I ordered mine, it took about 10 days to get it from China (to Michigan). Incidentally, he also carries the wired remote for the FZ20 as well.

The Raynox setup I pointed you to comes with both UV and Polarizer filters. If you want to go the Phayee route, filters are available from him.. Go to a camera store and price a 72mm UV and a 72mm linear Polarizer filters and you'll imediately see the advantage of using the aftermarket adapters. Don't worry about stepping rings for right now.. Just get the lens protected.

When you get right down to it, the size of the filter translates to cost. The larger the thread, the more expensive..

Hope this helps,
Jeff

:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:08 AM   #3

So in other words...the Phayee adapter, for example, takes a 72mm thread and converts it to a 62mm thread which allows me to attach less expensive aftermarket lenses and filters. Now I am going to assume that stepping down to a smaller diameter ring doesnt affect the picture in anyway correct?
Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:22 AM   #4

dengar you are only stepping down from the too large outside dimension.

I too use te Phayee and 62mm filters. It reduces potentialsun spots by getting the filter back in closer to the lens and saves money on the filters due to size.

On ebay for $22 I bought the Phayee and for $20 more a set of Sunpak 62mm filters that included UV and circular polarizer. Thats all you need to get started. Your lens is protected and your skies and waterwill be a deeper blue. Bob
rob spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 2:02 AM   #5

The above photo shows the main adapter with a 62mm filter mounted. It replaces and goes on the camera exactly the same way the panasonic supplied adapter would.. The difference is, this one will let you use a 62mm thread filter.. With this configuration, the Entire lens assembly is protected and for all intents and purposes, you shouldn't need to remove it. You can stop here and put a 62mm cap on or...

Shown above is the camera with the complete adapter mounted. The outer ring is a hood - like device that will allow using 72mm accessories, I assume such as the panasonic wide and tele attachments.. I don't own either one so I can't say for sure. It can be left on the camera and capped with a 72mm cap as shown below. If you choose not to use this piece a ring is supplied that will protect the thread on the main adapter (much like the front ring on your FZ20).

The entire setup, including the 72mm cap, The Hoya 62mm HMC (multi-coated) UV, a 62mm - 55mm step down ring (bought for another camera) and with shipping was $56 if I remember correctly. As I said before, about 10 days via airmail.. He will ship other ways if you want to pay for them.. Oh.. One last thing to mention.. This is made of metal rather than plastic.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 2:25 AM   #6
Mag

Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 7:17 AM   #7

I have the Raynox RT5264P adapter -- couldn't be happier with it.

It looks like part of the camera, is threaded for 52mm filters and accessories (52mm is still larger than the camera's lens, so no problems here) and is available in the US for about $16 + shipping (I had mine shipped to Australia from Massachusetts -- was easier, quicker and cheaper than finding and buying it here.)

It's one piece, all aluminium, the threads are as good as any I've seen and I never need to take it off the camera.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:27 AM   #8

Or the forth option the pemaraal adapter: http://www.pemaraal.com/fz10ac.html

I have no experience withwith the pemaraal asI do have the Phayee adapter and am very pleased with it. Shipping from China took 21 days for my adapter but I feel it was well worth the wait.
rink_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:20 AM   #9

Yo dengar69, yet heres another adapter to further confuse you. Go to http://www.nextphoto.net/FZ20.htm Have fun! JH
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 6:42 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the replies, out of all those I like the Nextphoto the best since it adds the least amount of length to the camera.