Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2005, 12:18 PM   #11

You may have a hard time finding a *new* FZ1 these days. Either they are no longer available from Panasonic, or the dealers just aren't stocking themin favour of the newer FZ3 and FZ5's. (at least here in the UK) I've been looking around for one but no luck. Think I'll wait a few months and maybe I can pick one up on Ebay for a good price - it will keep my FZ20 company
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:30 PM   #12

The average going price on eBay for the FZ1seems to be about $200. There are some reconditioned units at Ritz cameras also, but I wouldn't know what kind of condition they would be in.
wighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:55 PM   #13

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I look at the pics taken by the likes of Nick and fred with theyre FZ1's and they just make my jaw drop and are truely insperational.
Why thank you HarjTT. I'm really just a rank amature, though.

Regarding the FZ's

1. Critics/reviewers were WRONG imo about these cameras. They categorized them as "super zooms". Actually, they are quite revolutionary as never before in the history of photography could you have such a versitile lens with such an incredible focal length that is about the size of your standard 50mm 35mm prime lens. I wish they went a little wider but you can invest in a WA converter for when the situation calls for it.

2. Regarding the FZ1v2. It's compact, and can be had for a couple hundred bucks. It also doen't have an ir blocker. It's downside is it focuses slower than the newer models in low light, doesn't have an AF assist, nor manual focus. Although it only has 2 megapixels, that's (literally) more than enough for PC/web viewing and ample resolution for 6X4 prints. I'm in the "interpolation camp" for prints larger than 6X4. I use "interpolateThis" a free PS plug-in, or Q-image, an inexpensive, excellent SW package that ups the resolution via interoplation for larger print sizes.

The FZ-1v2 has an underpowered on-board flash. However, I would recommend the Vivitar DF 200 as a very good, reasonably priced solution that has many advanced features and a good Guide Rating of 100.

I really can't say the FZ-1v2 is "better than" any of the others, since I don't own them and have no basis for comparison. However, for $200 you get the earlier version of the Venus engine, an effective OIS system, and comparable optics; the heart of these cameras is the same. I am happy with mine, and have no desire to upgrade at the moment. If you're considering this camera, read the "sticky" FAQ for the FZ-1 here. It's an excellent resource that I followed to the letter.

I think you'll be happy with any FZ you choose.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:28 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for all your replies, info and help. I will let you know what I decide in the not too distant future and hopefully post a few from this newbie. Thanks very much.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:24 PM   #15

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._fz/index.html
Pana seem to think so by this link
I do prefer the FZ5 its smaller, oddly no Pana addons
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:08 PM   #16

boyzo,

Thanks for that link. I just got through reading it.Good info.I think I'm tending towards the Z20. Thanks very much.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote