Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 9, 2005, 5:13 PM   #1

Is the Panasonic Z20 still considered No.1 on this forum or have changes taken place? Seems all or most are quite happy with it?

Will there be a 15X and 20X zoom sometime? Is that possible without add-on lenses? Or, how about a SLR around $500.without lots of the bells and whistles for the SLR types now available?

Thanks for any and all answers.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2005, 6:33 PM   #2

Its number 1 in my book and im a beginner .Seeing how you posted in the Panasonic forum i think everyone else here will agree . Ive heard talk of a Z30 or 40 being released but not sure of it , it may have advanced zoom .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 8:01 PM   #3

For your money the FZ20 and FZ5 are the best digicams out there period. I haven't really heard anyone on the forum ever complain about the FZ's at all - they are not your point and shoot cam's, so you need to learn how to use them

Don;t expect a 15x or 20x cam from Pana or anyone else anytime soon or a $500 dslr.

No sign of a FZ30 at the moment, if it does exist it'll eb introduced in June/July of this year. The Pana DSLR isn;t due till March 2006.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 8:20 PM   #4

I needed to reply to this......I think that all the FZ's are great .........I have the FZ 20 but there are some here that have the earlier models like FZ1v2 and can have better photos than I can...its a matter of really learning the capabilities of your cam and what YOU can do with it.......I really love mine.
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:37 PM   #5

Hazzarbone wrote:
Quote:
I needed to reply to this......I think that all the FZ's are great .........I have the FZ 20 but there are some here that have the earlier models like FZ1v2 and can have better photos than I can...its a matter of really learning the capabilities of your cam and what YOU can do with it.......I really love mine.
Hazza

Mate .. you put it just perfectly. I look at the pics taken by the likes of Nick and fred with theyre FZ1's and they just make my jaw drop and are truely insperational. Now what i need to be able to do is get my head around macro's.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:41 AM   #6

the FZ20 is still the topof Panasonic's line, and a very capable camera, especially with abetter photogapher than me behind it. it has its faults.. it's a bit noisy, and there are some things about it i'd change if i could, like an optical viewfinder with info superimposed on the glass (like the HUD in a jetfighter) instead of the EVF (would make pan shots MUCH easier!), less noise at higher ISO settings, and perhaps some sort of focal distance indication, but all things considered, for the price, it is a very hard camera to beat. i've had my Z20 for about 4 months, and i love it. i'm still learning how to make the most of its strengths and minimize its weaknesses, but i've been able to capture some shots i know i wouldn't have gotten with most other cameras.

will there be a 15-20x lens? not likely. the glass would have to be huge, even with thecurrent small sensor, to get anything more than the 12x they offer now. you aren't likely to see any DSLR's for $500... not when the new FZ5 is selling for that much, and the Z20's are still listed at $600. if someone comes out with a full-feature DSLR for that price, i'm buyin' one!! but that's one of the FZ20's strengths - it offers performance and flexibility almost on a par with DSLR's in many ways, but for half the cost. less than that, when you figure most DSLR's come with an 18-55mm lens or some such thing, and to get glass comparable to the FZ20, you'd have to shell out another $600-$800 on top of the grand or so you'd pay for the DSLR.

all told, it's a great value. could it be improved? of course. but i think most FZ20 owners on this forum will agree, it's a damn fine camera, and if used well, will produce spectacular results.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 2:01 AM   #7

The FZ20 is a very good camera and in the capable hands of the right shooter can produce some excellent shots. The FZ10 is better to me in that it has less noise and has a faster burst mode.

The king of them all is the FZ1v2. It is the most versatile of the lot and is very easy to use over the first two. I find the colors to be better versus the first two I mentioned. I also find my pictures to be sharper and less PP needed as well.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:39 AM   #8

Many thanks to all who replied to my questions. That goes for
pappy-Harjtt-Hazzarbone-squirlO33-vIZnquest. I think I got them all. I do appreciate your responses as I intend to purchase a Z and probably the Z20. I will look at some of the other models as has been suggested by you all. Thanks again.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 9:30 PM   #9

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
The FZ20 is a very good camera and in the capable hands of the right shooter can produce some excellent shots. The FZ10 is better to me in that it has less noise and has a faster burst mode.

The king of them all is the FZ1v2. It is the most versatile of the lot and is very easy to use over the first two. I find the colors to be better versus the first two I mentioned. I also find my pictures to be sharper and less PP needed as well.
Can you advise me about this FZ1v2 that you say is most versatile etc. above. I cannot find it on review sites. By chance could it be a typo? Await your reply. Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 8:49 AM   #10

You will find the reviews under the FZ1. The FZ1v2 is the same camera with upgraded features through firmware, giving the user more control of the camera. It is only 2 megapixels, but some members here have produced amazing photos with it. An extra feature it has that most other cameras don't is infrared capabilities. You could probably do a search on this siteand find some examples.
wighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote