Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:47 AM   #1

Took a trip to Natural bridge in Kentucky. What should my settings be on pictures of this setting ?

zooming in from long way
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:06 AM   #2

I would use spot metering, Aperture priority (A) at f8 and meter on the greenery (trees etc)..

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:23 AM   #3

For posting, try to resize images to approx 640 x 480. It really detracts from viewing images when you have to scroll up or the the side to fit it alll ton the monitor screen.
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:44 AM   #4

Ok,

1)Check your whitebalance - it looks ok in the pict's but sometimes Auto kind of looses the plot, well on my FZ10 it does. Set it to sunny/daylight or just take a white card with you and you can set it to manual.
2)Set the camera to spot meter like mentioned above - try and meter off something close to grey if possible, but the trees should be just fine. On my screen the exposure looks ok in the two pictures.
3)Reduce the exposure by 1/3 or 2/3 and adjust to taste- the FZ's have a tendency to over expose.
4) Set the camera to Aperture priority - anything from f5.6 -f8 should be just fine. The pic looks as if you it was at F2.8.
5)Use a tripod if you have one, esp if your zooming in from a distance. If you are using a tripod make sure the OIS is off. From those shot's I'd say they were handheld - you need to be rock steady.Simply use a Tripod.
6) For those pict's use manaul focus - hone in on some feature, a tree or the people on the ridge until they look sharp on the LCD or EVF.
7) Set the cam's setting for sat, contrast and sharpness to low and you can adjust them in Photoshop or Paintshop Pro afterwards.

Hope that helps

Harj

:? :-) :G

PS

Like Suze says - just resize the image 640x480 is fine.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:53 AM   #5

What were your setting and do you have the EXIF. What OIS mode did you use. Resizing to 720x540 fits the screen just right:idea:
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:12 PM   #6

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:51 PM   #7

hey thanks for the tips , actually i forgot and left the camera on macro .

Everything else was auto :?.Im a true beginner i actually thought i had resized them better than that hehe .

I intended to shoot in fully auto mode , theres so much to learn about good photography . Do you have to do the white balance everytime you turn the camera on ? I was kinda surprised at how far the lens zoomed in actually lol .

Thanks for the feedback , i hope to get better soon :G
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:15 PM   #8

The more you shoot, the more you'll start to review your setting before a shot. Another common error is hit manual focus switch and kill the AF.:-)
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote