Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:49 AM   #11

I posted some FZ5 indoor portraits a couple of weeks ago (with and without flash). Here's the link:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

chalkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:57 AM   #12

Thank you much for the link. Looks like there really is not that much difference when skintones come into the image.

I guess I'll just stick to my custom Hue profile for post processing for now though I would welcome a firmware upgrade that gave us the option of "natural" under the Color Affects menu.

Otherwise, I am having a blast with the camera. Shots I just could never of captured before. I didn't want to purchase an external flash until I was certain I'd be keeping the camera longer then 6 months. I recently ordered the Pemaraal 62mm adapter and plan to buy locally a UV filter, polarizer, and Nikon 6T. Now that I am over that hurdle I am sure an external flash will be here before next Christmas.

http://newsy.smugmug.com/gallery/189956

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:08 PM   #13

I agree with the guys who commented on an external flash doing much better with white balance indoors. I have one and am finding the same thing to be true for me.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:43 PM   #14

I agree an external flash helps alot. Looking at the indoor shots of the FZ5 I think that it will need a slave flash to offset WB issues.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 1:48 PM   #15

NewsyL wrote:
Quote:
Thank you much for the link. Looks like there really is not that much difference when skintones come into the image.

I guess I'll just stick to my custom Hue profile for post processing for now though I would welcome a firmware upgrade that gave us the option of "natural" under the Color Affects menu.

Otherwise, I am having a blast with the camera. Shots I just could never of captured before. I didn't want to purchase an external flash until I was certain I'd be keeping the camera longer then 6 months. I recently ordered the Pemaraal 62mm adapter and plan to buy locally a UV filter, polarizer, and Nikon 6T. Now that I am over that hurdle I am sure an external flash will be here before next Christmas.

http://newsy.smugmug.com/gallery/189956

Could you share info about your custom hue profile? Thanks!
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:11 PM   #16

NewsyL wrote:
Quote:
From what I've read, the FZ5 uses the same sensor as the FZ20.

And all the reviews at DPReview, DCResource, and MegaPixel seem to comment that the FZ5 has very accurate colour as in slightly to the cold side of natural tones rather than the skewed heavily to the warm side as in the FZ20.

From what I've seen of sample pictures, this seems to be true.

I haven't confirmed this, but I'm guessing the FZ5 uses a chipset for in camera processing that is either the same or related to those in the FZ15 and FZ20.

If the above is true then it should be possible to provide a Firmware update to correct the one glaring weakness of the FZ20 which is it's White Balance accuracy. With all the similarities, I can't see a whole lot of extra cost to release a firmware update like this.

(And how about that new fast focusing algorithm of the FZ5? Canon released an update for the PRO1 more than a year after release of the camera to fix focus speed issues. How's that for user support?)

But before I can say this is something that must be done, I'd really like to see some portrait shots of people from FZ5 owners to see how skin tones are rendered for a comparison.

What do you think?

I find using the manual setting best. It's not hard to set, and seems quite accurate. I use the cloudy setting sometimes when I want warmer tones, but mostly manual. Cheers.....thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:43 PM   #17

That is one workaround. It wouldn't work when using the flash though. It still would be nice to see Panasonic address ithe issue as most of us like the camera and would be inclined to upgrade, but would rather not be forced into it to get a simple adjustment in software. $$$$
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 3:13 PM   #18

My Hue profile?

Right now I use Paint Shop Pro or ACDSee v7.0 to edit my images.

In PSP I use +15 Red and +8 Yellow as a base and then tweak, usually downward.

In ACDSEE I use either +1 or +2 in their "Hue" function.

As I shoot with Saturation low I often boost this a bit.

I'm looking at using PSP's Hue Map function - it shows promise and if I could sync it with the results shown in testing by Imaging Resource, I think I could set it up for a one button click to neutralize the color cast.

A caveat... this is all trial and error.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:37 PM   #19

NewsyL wrote:
Quote:
My Hue profile?

Right now I use Paint Shop Pro or ACDSee v7.0 to edit my images.

In PSP I use +15 Red and +8 Yellow as a base and then tweak, usually downward.

In ACDSEE I use either +1 or +2 in their "Hue" function.

As I shoot with Saturation low I often boost this a bit.

I'm looking at using PSP's Hue Map function - it shows promise and if I could sync it with the results shown in testing by Imaging Resource, I think I could set it up for a one button click to neutralize the color cast.

A caveat... this is all trial and error.
Just what I was looking for - Thanks!
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote