Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2005, 12:11 PM   #1

From what I've read, the FZ5 uses the same sensor as the FZ20.

And all the reviews at DPReview, DCResource, and MegaPixel seem to comment that the FZ5 has very accurate colour as in slightly to the cold side of natural tones rather than the skewed heavily to the warm side as in the FZ20.

From what I've seen of sample pictures, this seems to be true.

I haven't confirmed this, but I'm guessing the FZ5 uses a chipset for in camera processing that is either the same or related to those in the FZ15 and FZ20.

If the above is true then it should be possible to provide a Firmware update to correct the one glaring weakness of the FZ20 which is it's White Balance accuracy. With all the similarities, I can't see a whole lot of extra cost to release a firmware update like this.

(And how about that new fast focusing algorithm of the FZ5? Canon released an update for the PRO1 more than a year after release of the camera to fix focus speed issues. How's that for user support?)

But before I can say this is something that must be done, I'd really like to see some portrait shots of people from FZ5 owners to see how skin tones are rendered for a comparison.

What do you think?
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 12:45 PM   #2

I agree about the FZ20 and skintones. It leans toward magneta badly. I find myself adjusting in PS all the time. i like the camera generally; but it does have WB problems. Panasonic seems more likely to release a new model rather than do a firmware update. As far as the FZ5, look at the samples in the Dpreview review. The couple pic #21 shows the poor pink skintones just like the FZ20. My FZ1v2 is more accurate at people pics.
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gal...icfz5_samples/
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:32 PM   #3

Hi,Iwas reading your post and thought that I would send you a picture with my new fz5 that I got last week. I am a newbie so all the pictures that I took were in P, Heart or sports mode......but there is alot of skin showing on these tennis players(Bausch & Lomb Ternnis tournament)It isn't exactly a portrait, but you can see the skin tones... I have more if you like. I hope that this helps you......I'm having such fun learning..... Photography is alot more of a challenge than I thought......I'm eager to learn..... bentleysmom
Attached Images

bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:54 PM   #4

Firmware Update???
I dont think Panasonic knows the meaning of fireware update!

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 6:47 PM   #5
dlw

I'm in full agreement. I love the zoom of the FZ20, and outdoor pictures have been outstanding, but every indoor picture I take has the reddish skin tone and requires PS fiddling to be useful at all. If I had known this, I would never have purchased this camera. I feel it is a glaring defect and am very PO'd that Panasonic doen't even seem to care about it. A person shouldn't have to mess with every indoor shot, period.
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:30 PM   #6

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Firmware Update???
I dont think Panasonic knows the meaning of fireware update!

Treemonkey
Tree

Yeah.. thats Panasonic for u ...my FZ10's whitebalance can be a wee bit off too and I'm sure firmware update would be a no brainer.

Panasonic Customer Services .. "We got a 1000+ e-mails for a firmware update on our FZ's.. theyre all saying Canon, Nikon and co all do them so why not Panasonic?"
Firmware team.."ok,... hmm... tell them to visit a local store and download a brand new FZXXX with the firmware update pre-installed. They get the update and a cam, what more could they want!"

Harj

:blah::G
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 8:32 PM   #7

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to waste your time.... bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:45 PM   #8

I don't know what you are appologizing for.. You've done Nothing wrong..

I wouldn't expect a firmware update from panasonic either.. Go back and look at the folks asking for one on the FZ10 (something I did read through before buying the FZ20).. What I've noticed, perhaps it's just me, the pinkish skin tones are more prevalant when indoors, using the on camera flash. An external flash seems to solve the problem nicely without the need for pp. I'm not going to debate with anyone whether or not we should Need an external flash.. Just stating from personal experience.. Yours may differ.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:40 AM   #9

I would love to see an update as well. I love my FZ15 but for outdoor use only. Thats why I shoot my G5 with a nice external flash indoors. My shots and color comes out flawless. My dad has a FZ 10 and purchased an external flash for it but my canon pics indoors just blows the FZ away. If panasonic could fix the problem with firmware I would sell the canon and use only the 15. Anyway, my 2 cents.
Dmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:59 AM   #10

bentleysmom wrote:
Quote:
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to waste your time.... bentleysmom
Sorry you may have taken my comments the wrong way, my bad. Anyway I have an external flash on my FZ10 and the indoor photos I have taken with it are amazing with perfect skintones. I always bounce the flash off the roof or wall though.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote