Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:37 PM   #11

My husband bought me an Oly from them for Christmas. I didn't like it so we returned and ordered the FZ3. They were very pleasant & easy to deal with for the whole process. Processing & shipping was very fast. We didn't experience any of the "sales" push either.
DianeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:20 PM   #12

You no longer have to be concerned about the great price... I ordered my FZ5 2 days ago @ $435.00 with no shipping charge (don't know yet if it even shipped), and today it's listed at $479.00, but "out of stock". When I had the apparently compulsary phone conversation with the sales person, he said he couldn't believe how many they were selling... well, I guess they figured out very quickly their price was just a bit too attractive!
habanero5869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 6:48 PM   #13

Abe's of Maine had the FZ5 today for $420 plus $15, which makes $435. Plus, they were throwing in $30 towards an accessory like a bag. I had already ordered mine from Butterfly, called them up threatening to cancel,and they upgraded my shipping for free. I can get a decent camera bag somewhere for way under $30 so I was OK with that - I just want the camera ASAP. But, my order still shows processing and it's been since Monday that I placed it. We'll see how it goes!
jneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:42 PM   #14

Mine came today from Butterfly, and seems to be a real US version, not a grey market one, as far as I can tell.

So, good results for me - I'd use them again.
s_xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:17 PM   #15

jneil;

I was tempted by Abes of Maine too but resellerratings.com shows them as worse than Butterfly. Please let me know how it goes with them.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:27 PM   #16

I'm sorry, I tried Butterfly Photo once and had a horrible experience. The short version is:

I ordered a camera2 weeks before a trip to New Orleans I was taking with my girlfriend and paid for 2 day shipping. I figured that they wouldn't process my order for 2 days (I ordered on a Saturday) so I should receive it on a Wednesday. Wednesday came and I called and a very polite lady said it was an error on their part and they would go ahead and ship it out via 2 day shipping so I would receive it on Friday. Friday came and there was no camera. I called customer support and they were closed until the following Monday. I called Monday when I still had no camera. They explained that they had been closed because of a Jewish holiday and that is why they didn't get it sent out. They said they would overnight it and I would receive it on Tuesday (Wed at the latest). Tuesday came around and I called again and they said that the camera has been out of stock and on backorder for over a month and couldn't beleive no one had told me.
jello212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:46 AM   #17

s_xyzzy wrote:
Quote:
Mine came today from Butterfly, and seems to be a real US version, not a grey market one, as far as I can tell.

So, good results for me - I'd use them again.
Hey s_xyzzy - I'm glad you got yours quickly from Butterfly and hope everyone else that's ordering this "hot" camera gets theirs soon too.

2 questions... when did you order yours and does their website still show your order as "processing"? I've read elsewhere that someone got their camera soon after ordering and the website showed it as "processing" for months after it shipped!
habanero5869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:32 AM   #18

habanero5869 wrote:
Quote:
2 questions... when did you order yours and does their website still show your order as "processing"?
I had ordered over the weekend - saturday late evening I believe it was. The order shipped the following monday, and I received it on wednesday.

I haven't checked their web site since ordering, so I'm not sure what status it currently reports, sorry. I'll try to check later on.
s_xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:07 PM   #19

I guess I have been lucky. I have ordered a total of 5 cameras from them including an FZ20, (2) FZ3's, a Fuji S5000 and another some time ago. All of them were shipped with 2nd day FedEx (paying standard shipping), all arrived 3 days later, and all were US versions with full warranty cards and I was happy with the price which fluctuates with the weekends it seems. I talked to John. Hope this gives you a little insight.
Jering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:37 PM   #20

Well I dunno about Butterfly - now they're telling me it won't ship until Monday - that's a full week after I ordered it. And they won't upgrade my shipping to next day, just 3 to 5 day. Maybe I should have cancelled and given Abe's a chance after all. Smells fishy to me, like maybe they didn't really have it in stock when I ordered it. Of course the same thing could have happened elsewhere but I'll never know.

At least I still have my Canon 2MP.

Will advise further if and when I get it.

jneil is offline   Reply With Quote