Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:08 PM   #1

Is there any difference in the FZ20 Silver and Black other than aesthetics? I have always had black SLRs, but I cannot think on any reason the color of the camera should matter. The Silver seems to be a little lower in price on the Net.
wholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:13 PM   #2

no difference. Same camera=same photos
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 4:19 PM   #3

The reason I selected silver for mine - all things being equal, is that black gets hot and I intended to carry the camera around in the summer. I thought there was more of a chance of damaging the internal circuitry by the camera getting too hot in August if I left it sitting somewhere outdoors in direct sunlight on a hot, sunny day.

Perhaps an incident I had of having to buy the "Eraserhead" VHS tape from Hollywood Video when I left it in my car on the dash (Doh!), which resulted in the tape resembling a melted ice cream cone, played a factor in choosing silver.

Originally, camera equipment was black because it was the least reflective (lack of) color, absorbed light - or at least didn't reflect it, to protect against fogging FILM due to light leaks and such.

Digicams (obviously) don't use film, so the practical reason for having "black" equipment is moot. If you're choosing between black and silver for practical reasons, my logic - as explained, is silver stays cooler in the summer.

Some think silver "looks unprofessional" and call it "soccer mom silver", and consider black a "real photograper's camera color" and it's "artsy".

Camera snobs can be funny.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 6:22 PM   #4

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Some think silver "looks unprofessional" and call it "soccer mom silver", and consider black a "real photograper's camera color" and it's "artsy". `

Agree Nick, you are witty ..... consider tho' any serious Pro will only use Black,If shooting a Lion or Tiger in Africa,a silver camera would give you away (Reflections from the sun)now the Lion/Tiger knows whats edible
As for silver well I don't shoot Tigers.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 8:15 PM   #5

This guy likes silver too Nick:arrow:
Attached Images

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:07 PM   #6

nooner wrote:
Quote:
This guy likes silver too Nick:arrow:

THE single greatest acting perfomance in the HISTORY of Cin-E-Mah!

Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:26 PM   #7

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Some think silver "looks unprofessional" and call it "soccer mom silver", and consider black a "real photograper's camera color" and it's "artsy". `

Agree Nick, you are witty ..... consider tho' any serious Pro will only use Black,If shooting a Lion or Tiger in Africa,a silver camera would give you away (Reflections from the sun)now the Lion/Tiger knows whats edible
As for silver well I don't shoot Tigers.
anyone getting within FZ20 range of a wild lion (no tigers in Africa) without a guide carrying a .375 H&H deserves to be lunch! :blah:

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:37 PM   #8

Boyzo touched on it. If your main focus is to photograph nature (birds and other creatures, black is better. It's non reflective and less likely to scare them away. On the other hand if you're into candid people photography, the silver for whatever reason seams to go more unnoticed than the black. In the final analysis both cameras are identical inside. I all boils down to personal preference.
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:51 PM   #9

since most animals arelargely color-blind,and they usually key on movement rather than color, the silver isn't as much a disadvantage in wildlife photography as one might think. there's some chance of a bright reflection from the body of the camera giving you away, but an animal is just as likely to see a reflection from the lens as the camera body, especially since that great hugepiece of glassis what'spointed at him. if you're close enough to worry about a reflection, you can just about count on the animal knowing you're in the area anyway... unless you're an accomplished stalker coming up from downwind, your quarry will hear or smell you long before he will see your camera.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:59 PM   #10

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote