Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2005, 8:29 PM   #1

Rong Jin, Canoga, Adorama, Tiffen, Hoya all seem to have little if anything to say about linear polarizer coatings. Rong doesn't carry them. Tiffen doesn't list them under Polarizing Filters. There are no Hoya HMC or Super-HMC linear polarizers. Just standard. B+W does seem to have a greater interest in coatings for linear and are priced accordingly. My question is as it is a polarizer is it necessary to need coatings as good as these companies offer on say their UV or circular polarizing filters? I plan to screw it ontop of a good UV filter and wonder why the coatings of the UV are so much more important although it may be behind other filters and often a polarizer. The coatings of the linear polarizer are not or so it would appear by the way its treated as important as the circlar polarizer to the vendors and manufacturers. Take treated either way. I'm sure you guys can help me understand this. Thanks.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:59 AM   #2

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
Rong Jin, Canoga, Adorama, Tiffen, Hoya all seem to have little if anything to say about linear polarizer coatings. Rong doesn't carry them. Tiffen doesn't list them under Polarizing Filters. There are no Hoya HMC or Super-HMC linear polarizers. Just standard. B+W does seem to have a greater interest in coatings for linear and are priced accordingly. My question is as it is a polarizer is it necessary to need coatings as good as these companies offer on say their UV or circular polarizing filters? I plan to screw it ontop of a good UV filter and wonder why the coatings of the UV are so much more important although it may be behind other filters and often a polarizer. The coatings of the linear polarizer are not or so it would appear by the way its treated as important as the circlar polarizer to the vendors and manufacturers. Take treated either way. I'm sure you guys can help me understand this. Thanks.
In certain respects, the coatings are more important on the inside. You can experience internal light bouncing between elements. Hoya makes a linear polarizer in the standard series. It has one coating on each side. The idea of multiple coating is to increasethe light transmission price of the filter. An 8% increase in light transmission vs. a $19.00 in price. The circular polarizer is not needed on an FZ.
Why would you want to stack a UV with a polarizer? You gain very little unless at 3000 feet.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:11 AM   #3

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Why would you want to stack a UV with a polarizer? You gain very little unless at 3000 feet.
I don't know anything about filter stacking, but 3000 feet is over two miles below the elevation at which I sometimes take pictures, and about 3500 feet underground in my backyard
s_xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:50 AM   #4

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:32 AM   #5

LoveLife, thank you for your reply.

I intend keeping the UV (Pro 1 S-HMC)on primarily as protection on a fairly constant basis attached to Rong's adapter. I want to experiment with a polarizer and have read in this forum that the linear works better though I never learned why; although, I did learn why the circular isn't needed. I noticed you were not as set on spending money needlessly on coatings in previous posts as some others were. I'm trying to get a couple orders together and want to get it right the first time. It just seems quite odd that the circular gets all the attention andcoatings while the linear doesn't. Beyond that and perhaps its just sales hype; but, Leica and I believe Heliopan are sticking with loose brass rings. They say the tight aluminum rings can warp the filter somewhat inducing distortion.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:04 PM   #6

With a lot of help from Nick's past posts and of course Ken, the answers lie here, along with much treaure: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm

I hope this will help others who may be near their wits end trying to get to the truth. While there, be sure to read the Seven Levels of Photographers. enjoy, and relax.
Thanks for this forum and all who help make photography what it is.