Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:53 PM   #1

Hello,

I recently purchased the FZ5 camera. It is a really great camera (size, color, great feel, zoom), but the beginner that I am the pictures at times tend to come out a little blurry and/or soft. Another issue I have is that when viewing at 100% on my pc screen using the photobase software, the noise level is pretty noticeable (loss of sharpness and grainy). Anyhow, please see the attached sample pic below, macro mode shot. FYI, I had the OIS set to mode 2. Indoor shots under halogen lamp setting, the camera seem to struggle to focus at times (even with the OIS2 set) in which I get a lot of red warning light. I guess the FZ5 lacks in this dept.?

Please let me know what setting (s) beginners should mostly rely on? I know the simple modeis there but it doesn't allow you to switch to OIS2, which I hear is far more reliable to ensure sharp pictures. Thanks.

Attached Images

mblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:59 PM   #2

Here is another pic (indoor shot).

Attached Images

Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:12 PM   #3

The first is focused on the background. You used pattern metering. Try spot. The second was 1/60 shutter with flash so with OIS camera shake is not a problem. Once again spot will help the camera focus faster.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:30 AM   #4

Yeh man you gotta use spot/center pointfocus!
richardmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:53 PM   #5

You might want to check out the Kodak DX camera. IMHO, it is just as good if not better than the overhyped FZ5. I too tested out the "God of all digital cameras" and to be quite frank with everyone, it's outdoor focusing was below that of the Kodak camera I own. It has literally "hunt down" its focus zone. I see more red bracketthan green and this is with the so-called superb OIS system! LMAO! The Kodak is precise in daytime shooting mode. Don't just take my word for it, test it out and you decide.

You also raise the issue with poor low-light, yeah, well no one said the FZ5 was a great indoor camera. Let's just say it's slow.

Seriously, check out the Kodak DX7590 or if you can wait, check out the Z7590. Both cameras (save the high JPEG compression level) are more than capable of producing great pictures.

FZ series - not impressed!
Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 7:45 PM   #6

mblue1 wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

I recently purchased the FZ5 camera. It is a really great camera (size, color, great feel, zoom), but the beginner that I am the pictures at times tend to come out a little blurry and/or soft. Another issue I have is that when viewing at 100% on my pc screen using the photobase software, the noise level is pretty noticeable (loss of sharpness and grainy). Anyhow, please see the attached sample pic below, macro mode shot. FYI, I had the OIS set to mode 2. Indoor shots under halogen lamp setting, the camera seem to struggle to focus at times (even with the OIS2 set) in which I get a lot of red warning light. I guess the FZ5 lacks in this dept.?

Please let me know what setting (s) beginners should mostly rely on? I know the simple mode is there but it doesn't allow you to switch to OIS2, which I hear is far more reliable to ensure sharp pictures. Thanks.

In spite of what some know nothings think they know, the FZ5 appears to be a great camera.. When you get the red warning lights, the camera is telling you your settings may be too slow to get a smooth picture without a flash or tripod, even with OIS. This should be in your instruction manual.. Also, I note that in the flower pic you are at about 8 or 9 x zoom. You state that you used macro mode for the shot (flowers). You may be too close for that type of zoom. You paid for the 5 megapixel camera, back off a little bit and crop.. OR just zoom in without the macro mode (which on the FZ20 is limited to 3x zoom).. OIS has nothing to do with focusing. It only acts when the shutter button is pressed to actually take the photo. Some people here have reported getting better results with OIS mode 1. OIS isn't the end all solution to blurry photos.. As some people with shakyhands can attest..

As nooner and richard have mentioned, you probably want to use spot focusing And metering.. That way the camera doesn't have to *hunt* for a focal point, especially with closeups like your flower shot.

For flash photos, use the flash wb setting. I see From your second photo where your ID comes from.. Are you from Michigan??

Good luck,
Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 8:28 PM   #7

He's back..........................:evil:
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2005, 8:47 PM   #8

Nooner and Jsiladi, thanks for your feedbacks.BTW Jsiladi, I'm not from Michigan, I currently reside in sunny San Diego; I did attend U-M (Ann Arbor), though. Anyway,I took some more shots today and though Igot a bit frustrated with some test shots using the macro mode (I guess I need to back off with the zoom a bit; my thinking was the more zoom you use in the macro mode, the more clearer your shots are probably going to turn out - I told you guys I'm a beginner!).In regard to the spot mode I was advised to use, I selected this in both the metering and AF mode (high speed spot mode) to take the macro shots.

To Elphman, actually I think I'm going to stick with the FZ5. Believe me, I did a lot of research on the ultra zoom cameras and the FZ5 has received nothing but positive reviews. It sounds like a winner.

Here is another sample pic I took today. As you will notice, the shot, while relativelygood, at least I think so, isa bit dark and soft (FYI, I selected vivid mode as well as FINE compression).Perhaps I should've used a flash?
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2005, 8:54 PM   #9

Another pic.The original intent was to capture both flowers, however, the camera focused on only one flower. Oh well. That's what practice is for, huh?
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:09 PM   #10

Just to confuse a little more, in this situation use spot focus and center weighted metering for exsposure. Try bracketing the shot with +1/3/-1/3. Take a ton of shots and look at your setting to see what works. The camera is capable of quite a bit, definitely more than a Kodak :?. Here's the shot with PP for exposure
Attached Images