Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:40 PM   #11

indiawala wrote:
Quote:
Funny comment Hiroshi...

my 2 cents about PL's...the thing i know about linear is that its best if it works with your camera (its cheaper and has a stronger effect than a circular)...circular came into being because digital cameras with "thru the lens focusing" had problems with linear polarizers. But the FZ series does not use thru the lens focusing and therefore works perfectly fine with linear polarizers. Circular will work too but theoretically linear is a better bet.

seth
Even funnier comment indiawala!!

If the FZ series does not focus 'thu' the lens' then how on earth does it work? This is likely to confuse everyone. I think theessential difference is that it doesn't use mirrors or beam splitters - which are polarization sensitive. Focusing and exposure are done directly from the signal from the sensor (CCD).

Linear is fine.

Arrow
arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:46 AM   #12

Hey arrow, the TTL focusing issue was brought up in a forum about the FZ's and why it could use linear PL's while most digital cameras couldn't. Now when i need to find what was said, I can't...lol.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 1:39 PM   #13

Hi indiawala, maybe its just a matter of terminology and we are not disputing that linear is OK with the FZ20, which is the point of the thread. I think the term 'thu the lens' came about in film cameras to distinguish it from rangefinder or manual setting on the lens barrel markings and in those days it inevitably involved an internal mirror andpossibly other polarization sensitive elements. However, I still maintain that the FZ series focusing is also 'thru the lens' as the light has no other way to go.

arrow

arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:29 PM   #14

I'm using a circular (CPL),because I already owned it. I'm finding it's just not very easy to use ona digital camera. It works finefor blocking reflections or glare, and the effect is obvious on any mode, but it's much harder to use for atmospheric scatter. I have to set the camera to manual mode (inother modes the camera compensates instantly for the filter's effect by brightening or darkening the EVF/LCDas youturn the filter, so it's not apparent where you are at) then switch back to my preferred mode for the shot. I wish I didn't have to do this 2-step each time!

Also, in manual mode the effect is nowhere as vivid as I was used to seeing through the direct TTL viewfinder on a film SLR.
pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote