Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:15 AM   #1

hi all

i have a fz15 and i was wondering which polarizing filter to get?....either the linear or circular and why?

thanks to all in advance
frogman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:41 AM   #2

frogman52 wrote:
Quote:
hi all

i have a fz15 and i was wondering which polarizing filter to get?....either the linear or circular and why?

thanks to all in advance
If you want the best filter for this camera buy a linear polarizer. The circular is more expensive and is not needed on the FZ 12X zooms.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:46 AM   #3

Get the linear. If you have the opportunity, try them out on your camera to see which brand you like best. But stick with linear.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:48 PM   #4

This was in Steves glossary of terms . A photographic filter for eliminating glare and reflections .Just like your polarized sunglasses get rid of annoying glare , the polarizer filter does the same for your digicam.However there are 2 types , linear and circular .Linear is for film only , it screws up most auto focus systems in digicams.Therefore be sure you use a circular polarizer filter,It can also darken skies .

So if yours is not digital use the Linear .

I hadno clue but now i know .I believe what he says to be true :G
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:03 PM   #5

pappy wrote:
Quote:
This was in Steves glossary of terms . A photographic filter for eliminating glare and reflections .Just like your polarized sunglasses get rid of annoying glare , the polarizer filter does the same for your digicam.However there are 2 types , linear and circular .Linear is for film only , it screws up most auto focus systems in digicams.Therefore be sure you use a circular polarizer filter,It can also darken skies .

So if yours is not digital use the Linear .

I hadno clue but now i know .I believe what he says to be true :G
[align=center] The most important thing with a polarizer is determining which one your camera requires. If you can use a Linear Polarizer, you save you money.[/align]

[align=center]If your camera has non-interchangeable lens and a Parallel or EVF viewfinder, your camera can use a Linear Polarizer. Viewfinders called Parallel have one or more view holes / squares visible on the camera front. A quick test for this type is to cover the lens and look thru the viewfinder if you can see it is parallel and can use a PL. The other type is an electronic viewfinder EVF found on some Digital cameras. EVFs display electronically created images on an internal LCD screen or on the camera back. An easy test is to look thru the viewfinder oron theback LCD, with the camera off. If it is dark, it is an EVF. Therefore, cameras with terms like EVF, Parallel, and non-interchangeable lenses, can use a Linear Polarizer PL.[/align]

[align=center]Circular polarizes are required for many film based Single Lens Reflex SLRs, and their cousin the Digital Single Lens Reflex DSLRs. These cameras have interchangeable lenses and their viewfinders display via a mirrorthru the lens TTL. The viewfinders for these cameras are always active.Therefore, SLR, DSLR, TTL and interchangeable lenses require a CPL. [/align]
Old Apr 12, 2005, 6:46 PM   #6

I`ve used polarizing filters a lot of times with my 35mm gear. With my older manual focus lenses, linear polarizers worked just fine. Later on as my eyes, and the rest of me, got older I had to use auto focus systems. The auto focus systems would not work with a linear. I had to use circular. Mind you, this was all with 35mm

I understand that the FZ20 uses an entirely different focusing system, and linear or circular will work just fine.

Now I know with 35mm system a polarizer will also decrease light volume by about 2 stops. Say you were using a f8 setting at 1/1000sec shutter speed and you then mounted a polarizer, you would have to adjust theaperature to 3.5 or so in order to maintain the 1/1000 shutter speed. If shutter speed was not that critical for the scene. you could adjust the shutter to say 1/750 and maintain the f8 aperature.

Anybody out there have a polarizer for thier `20 that`s already figured out the speed/aperature stuff ?
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 7:12 PM   #7

There is nothing to figure out. The camera adjusts automatically.

Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:44 PM   #8

thanks to all for the replys

greatly appreciated

frogman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:03 PM   #9

Ipersonally prefer an elliptical polarizer, it's the best of both worlds.
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 1:49 AM   #10

Funny comment Hiroshi...

my 2 cents about PL's...the thing i know about linear is that its best if it works with your camera (its cheaper and has a stronger effect than a circular)...circular came into being because digital cameras with "thru the lens focusing" had problems with linear polarizers. But the FZ series does not use thru the lens focusing and therefore works perfectly fine with linear polarizers. Circular will work too but theoretically linear is a better bet.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote