Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:59 PM   #11

Quest:
why didn't i think of that? i should just print out some shots from Steve's reviews, or even better from DPreview (sorry Steve, but i enjoy their galleries!), and check them out from different spots in my living room.
i agree that the quality is great for nature photography and macro with the Nikon 6T. i've really enjoyed Atomic Fish's photo's.

Keith:
i'm not worried about the 5mp not being enough. me grouping the FZ20 in with the higher pixel camera's is just a coincidence. i'm worried about digital camera's for poster-sized prints in general, and just wanted to clear up the noise rumor with the FZ20.
of course i want the 12X zoom, but i'm stacking it up against camera's that might not have the zoom but do have other features the FZ20 "lacks". my thing is, i don't know what will make me happier, and since i can't go anywhere within 200 miles to test the camera's out, i'm probly over-worrying and looking for as much feedback as i can get.

that is a nice shot of the squirrel. i don't see any noise issues in that one!
Ryan in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 6:00 PM   #12

Thanks,

Not a "great" shot but one of the few I have at high ISO. I have had the FZ20 a couple of weeks and one thing I am pleased with is the ability to hang on to low shutter speeds at ISO100 helped by the IS. For example, this is not the best shot I made of this flower, but was at 1/10 second at 2x zoom, IS100.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...0/P1000444.jpg

The FZ20 certainly opens up new possiblities for me.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 6:08 PM   #13

Ryan,

I feel for you. I was lucky enough to be able to try out all the cameras I have bought. Just picking up some of them up made me reject them. I am concerned about weight, so never even looked at the Sony DSC-F828, but if you don't mind the size and weight, it might be worth a look. I see you are on the dpreview forums as well, so there are lots of opinions there. For something a bit smaller, the Sony V3 maybe, or if you like a wide angle the Nikon 8400. I haven't handled these cameras because my needs were different - just trying to confuse you :?

My decisions are partly based on the fact that I also always carry binculars round my neck. That means I need either a camera on a waist bag, or, if I am carrying a rucksack, in my pocket. Hence my choice of FZ20 & P120. Your needs will be different. Good luck!

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 6:18 PM   #14

Check this out

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...0&show=all

Make your own choice. You ain't gonna beat this lense on any of the other camera's. I have owned my FZ20 since September and love it.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:15 PM   #15

Ryan, if those are the types of shots you will be making, macro , outdoor, wildlife ect. , then you cant beat the FZ. You nailed the perticular strong points of this cam on the head. I really feel like for macros and anything outdoor, this cam cant be beat.
Dmoss is offline   Reply With Quote