Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:39 PM   #1

but in your opinion, can you duplicate the results of those other camera's with the higher pixel counts with the FZ20?

is the FZ20 as versatile? i have heard many ppl claiming the FZ20 has above average noise on lower ISO settings also. do you find this to be true?

i thought i'd post my question here even tho i already posted it on the "help me buy a camera" forum, 'cause honestly there isn't a single manufacturer site here that has the same community and personal touch that the Panasonic forum has.

i believe the FZ20's lens is better than all other camera's 'cept the 8080, so i just wanted to verify the noise thing.

i know it's not quite as action-packed as the other camera's, but that's why it's also probly the best-priced bang for the buck 5mp camera you can buy. i'm looking for in general type of feedback.

thanks folks!
Ryan in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:57 PM   #2

One thing you should not overlook is that this FZ-20 is the only model among those listed that is edible.

HOWEVER, the Nikon 8700 makes a lovely chapeau...

Apart from that, take a deep breath, inhale in.... whooosh, exhale out. Go into warrior one Yoga pose.... Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. THEN...just buy the FZ-20. Then post some pictures here. Take the plunge. Don't stress over a digicam, life's too short.

After you buy it,you'll be an official member of "Steve's Digicam's Panasonic Forum"... Nooner will even spring for lunch.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:44 PM   #3

Print what you find in the reviews of each camerafrom this website and then look at the noise as an issue.

I do not see how offering a biased opinion is going to help you in your decision.

Unless someone has each camera you have listed there is no way one can tell you which one is better.

Continuing your search for "the" camera in this way will only have moments wasted in which photographs could have been taken.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:20 AM   #4

That's way too many cameras with all kinda of different personalities for me to heads or tails of. But, if you get Panasonic I'll spring for lunch. Why don't you grab a couple of lobsters and mett me at my place........say noonish:roll:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:21 AM   #5

That's way too many cameras with all kinda of different personalities for me to heads or tails of. But, if you get Panasonic I'll spring for lunch. Why don't you grab a couple of lobsters and meet me at my place, say........noonish:roll:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:21 AM   #6

Ryan, I also think its important to decide what type of shooting you will be doing. Can you go into further detail. And also what is your knowledge of photography and willingness to learn??
Dmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:45 AM   #7

Goldar:
an edible camera you say? that could be very handy in a survival situation. i'm not sure i'm in need of another hat tho. hm.
i don't mean to stress, but when my birthday hits in May i'm treating myself to a digital camera. i just wanna make sure i can get the fullest use outta my camera.

Quest:
i was just hoping some ppl with first hand experience with the FZ20 could tell me about the image quality they have in their photo's. what i see posted on these forums look great for the most part. i've been really impressed by Atomic Fish and Smac. but it's different from seeing one blown up on a wall. unfortunately living here in Northern Maine i don't have the ability to go to a store and try the camera's out.

Nooner:
if i go with the FZ20 i'll take you up on that. coincidentally i can get really good deals on lobster! haha

Dmoss:
i'm planning on using the camera for all-around nature photography, and alot of macro photography. my current knowledge of camera's is limited. the most advanced camera i've used is my Olympus IS5, which is a hand-me-down from my father. i've never really tried anything advanced like what i'm planning on doing with this new camera i'll be getting. i've used the IS5 pretty much in auto mode and can generally get excellent results. the digital camera's i've looked @ have all been what in my opinion, were the camera's with the best combination of image quality, features, and macro ability. as far as my willingness to learn, this is what i've become attracted to. i'm willing to go the distance on this and beyond.

i guess an interesting question might be, if the FZ20 only had 5X zoom, would it still be on the same level it is now?
Ryan in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 6:26 AM   #8

Well your choices are all decent choices.

Macro with the nikon 4t or 6t depending on what adapter you get, phayee, chen, pemeraal (photosolve), raynox, nextphoto, or yoshida.

The examples of what it can do should be convincing enough.

I did not suggest to try out the different cameras. I suggested you print for yourself the different camera review photos. Check it out that way.

I have not printed anything beyond 8x10 and find the quality to be outstanding.

Your question is vague at best to start and now you ask a limiting question about the camera being only 5x. Well the big draw for me is that it is 12x @ 2.8 brightness all the way through to 436mm. I have the raynox 1540 pro and it adds 1.54x. I am very pleased with the camera and its quality. Some PP is needed on some shots and a bit of noise reduction. The reason there is noise reduction is that all digicams have it at some level or another. The sharpness, detail, and color for the kind of shots you described is excellent.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:09 PM   #9

Don't worry about megapixels - in my view 5M is enough for 15" prints. I have one on my wall from my Sony P120 and it is great.

Decide if you want a 12x zoom - if so, that narrows your choice. I have only recently bought the FZ20, and combined with the image stabilisation it opens up possibilities Ihave given up on, even with my film SLRs.

Some people seem to have hangups with noise, I don't. Link to ISO 400 picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...161-ISO400.jpg

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:18 PM   #10

Great looking shot. Thanks for sharing this.