Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:08 AM   #1

I AM A NEW MEMBER. I WAS GOING THRO THE MESSAGES AND FIND THAT MOST OF THE TOPICS ARE ON FZ20. IS FZ 15 NOT AS POPULAR AS FZ20 OR FZ 5? WHY? CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN? I WAS PLANNING TO BUY A FZ15 SINCE MY BUDGET IS LIMITED. THANKS
pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:17 AM   #2

The FZ20 has a hot shoe and a more powerful flash, plus an extra Mp of resolution. The FZ15 is a nice camera if you don't intend using an external flash and 4Mp is sufficient.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:25 AM   #3

The FZ15 was a North American release only camera. Thus the availability from the start is far less than the worldwide release of the FZ20.

Some feature differences are:

1. No hotshoe for the FZ15 for flash attachment. Sunpak 383, 422, and 433, Quantaray 383 and Vivitar 285are the flash of choice for the FZ10 and FZ20.

2. No sound in recording video. Not really a big deal since video is not the strong point of the FZ camera line.

3. FZ15 is a 4 MP vs 5 MP for the FZ20.

Noise issues if there are really any are more apparent with the FZ20 vs the FZ15.

I have a friend who has the FZ15. It takes great pictures and a frequent poster of the FZ15 msantos has shown some great pictures.

You can get a L bracket and a slave flash like the Vivitar DF200 which works very well with the FZ1v2.

I use that and the Digislave 3000. It doubles as both eithera hotshoe flashor a slave flash with a zoom head.

The FZ5 has just been released and the jury is still out about this model. Looks very good from posting and reviews.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:31 AM   #4

THANKS FOR THE ADVISE. I THINK I WILL WAIT A FEW DAYS AND WATCH FOR FZ 5 REVIEWS BEFORE DECIDING.
pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:12 AM   #5

Here's a couple of FZ5 reviews for you

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...x.shtml:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:26 AM   #6

I own a FZ15 and its an awsome camera. If this will be your only camera you should probably spring for the 20 because you will need an external flash , although you can use the slave flashes . I think a hotshoe mount is just more sturdy. With a slave you will never really be able to do true bounce flash unless you cover up the internal flash. Also a side note, I dont think there is any difference in the internal flash from the 15 or 20 model. The 10 is weaker however.
Dmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 6:42 AM   #7

You can with your FZ15 reduce the level of flash from your onboard camera and use it as fill light effectively. It can be done with also the FZ10 and FZ20. Using the slave is not inferior to onboard flash in fact quite the opposite. With the use of the L bracket you can hold the camera steadier than with one in a hotshoe.

Just my opinion based on my experience doing this.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:36 AM   #8

I bought the 15 over the 20 for the $100 less "feature". I was able to get a bag, extra battery & 1GB sandisk extreme III sd card for the $100 difference. I did not need hotshoe or sound on movies. So for me 1mp was not worth $100. Which ever camera fits your style will be a winner.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:09 PM   #9

in addition to the cost of either camera,
you will immediately need to purchase a larger
sd card and a protection filter for the Lieca lens.

I have the FZ15 and love it
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote