Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:15 AM   #1

Hi there Lumix Clan, I recently got my fz20 and have been experimenting but now I want to get close up lense and tele, I'm New to this photography thing so my question is what do I need and who has the best prices and are there additional parts to get if I go with the raynox that every one

talks about here.

thanks in advance FRED-O
fred-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:15 PM   #2

Hi. There is a TON of nfo on this site regarding macro lenses. The big three are the Nikon 6t, Nikon 4t, and Raynox DCR 250. Most of the macro shooters seem to go with the 6t. All are good. The Raynox is the most powerful but also the most difficult to use.

Look at the F10 FAQ "sticky thread". There's a good section about macro lenses. Also use the search box and you will find 50 zillion threads about macro lenses. Look for posts by fmoore.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:13 PM   #3

thanks for the info Nick.
fred-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:24 PM   #4

Another question I have about macros is the use of a tripod. Those of you macro experts out there, do you guys use any sort of tripod/support or is it mostly handheld?

Thinking about investing in a tripod soon and was just wondering what equip everyone used.
sprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:04 AM   #5

i'd invest in a good tripod regardless. you WILL find it useful, especially if you plan on any low-light photography.

i use the Nikon 6T macro lens. the results are usually better with a tripod, but i often find myself wanting a close up of something and my tripod's at hoem because i didn't think to bring it, or it's a bright day and i didn't think i'd need it. you can get some very nice handheld macros with the Nikon close-up lenses, provided the light's good, but because of the magnification of the DCR-250 (+8 diopter, i believe), you really will want a tripod if you choose that lens, as it will amplify even the slightest jitterand ruin the picture. the Raynox lens also has a very shallow depth of field... just a couple of mm... which means it's really only at its best with VERY tiny subjects. frankly, i thing the Nikon lenses are more versatile and easier to use, but that's just my 2 cents...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:12 PM   #6

Thanks squirl that is what I have been thinking as well.

Thinking about this tripod set from B&H Photo. I just want something that isn't going to fall apart on me I am by no means a professional (heck I am lucky to be called an amateur) :sad:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=353164&is=REG
sprice is offline   Reply With Quote