Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:47 PM   #11

I still have to disagree.. Shutter speed or exposure time as some texts put it, DOES in fact change the exposure, regardless of light source. If you think about it, in the photography world, there is No light source faster than sunlight. So with your statement, it would follow that shutter speed in sun light wouldn't change exposure either because it's much faster than any shutter speed.

Jeff
:?
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:13 PM   #12

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
I still have to disagree.. Shutter speed or exposure time as some texts put it, DOES in fact change the exposure, regardless of light source. If you think about it, in the photography world, there is No light source faster than sunlight. So with your statement, it would follow that shutter speed in sun light wouldn't change exposure either because it's much faster than any shutter speed.

Jeff
:?
Just to add my two cents. flashes usually fire their light for a fraction of a second ie <1/1000 of a sec. This then means that as long as the camera shutter is open for the ~1/1000 of a sec then it will be exposed to the full flash light. 1/30 or 1/60s won't make any difference in terms of the amount of light from the flash, however with a longer exposure time ambient light may start to alter exposure. In terms of light speed, everywhere and from anywhere so sun light isnt any "faster" than flash light. Hope this clears things up.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:40 PM   #13

Well put Tree. Light is light no matter what the source and the speed is the same.

Gordy. the flash has adjustments to control the duration and intensity of the light so aperture is not the only way to control light from the flash. 2cents
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:10 AM   #14

Treemonkey wrote:
Just to add my two cents. flashes usually fire their light for a fraction of a second ie <1/1000 of a sec. This then means that as long as the camera shutter is open for the ~1/1000 of a sec then it will be exposed to the full flash light. 1/30 or 1/60s won't make any difference in terms of the amount of light from the flash, however with a longer exposure time ambient light may start to alter exposure. In terms of light speed, everywhere and from anywhere so sun light isnt any "faster" than flash light. Hope this clears things up.

Treemonkey
[/quote]

Okay, I can see that point.. WRT sunlight, I think you misunderstood my meaning.. I know that all light travels at the same 'speed'.. In terms of shutter speed however, there is no duration for the sun as a light source as there is for the flash.. It's there the instant the shutter opens and still there the instant it closes.
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote