Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 13, 2005, 3:41 PM   #1

Finally got my flash after a lot of reading. Now I know why the Sunpak 383 comes so highly recommended. I couldn't track down an actual Sunpak but got a rebranded version from Quantaray from Ritz camera. Here are two samples of the only two family members willing to tolerated the strobes. Both were taken with the flash bouncing off the ceiling in a nearly completely dark living room.

So far, I'm very pleased with the power and flexibility of the 383 but of course, your comments are welcome.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:41 PM   #2

They actually look a little bright (on my screen anyway). Although there's no red-eye on the kid or green eye on the dog.. No pinkish cast on the skin either.. You might want to try backing the flash off a bit or using a faster shutter speed... I'd say you're off to a great start..

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 6:25 PM   #3

You're on your way. You have to experiment with the flash quite a bit to get the settings you need. The first one is pretty hot. Shoot a bunch and change the settings and see what works for various situations.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:32 AM   #4

Shutter speed should not change exposure in darkened room.May need to stop down apeture
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:43 AM   #5

gordy wrote:
Quote:
Shutter speed should not change exposure in darkened room.May need to stop down apeture
Really?? With every Film camera I've ever used, given a fixed aperture, one step faster shutter speed, say 1/30 - 1/60 second, effectively cuts the exposure in half.. Is digital somehow different?

http://dpfwiw.com/exposure.htm

:?:

Jeff
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:48 AM   #6

yeah, I realize that the first one is kind of hot but I thought it was a funny picture. I'm kindof proud of it because it was very hard to focus in such low light and it came out very crisp, I can actually see myself in his eye. Also, if I had used the built-in flash with him that close, it would've been just a white blob in front of a black background showing how nice bounce flash is.

I don't think I can change the aperture on the FZ20 with external flash. It pretty much locks at 2.8 @ 100ASA. I could be wrong but when I use "A" mode, it won't let me change the aperture.

I have been playing a lot and these are but a few examples, the trick is getting the right angle on the bouncehead for the distance and angle of the camera.

Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:36 AM   #7

It sounds like the external flash setting on the FZ20 is in preset mode.. Switch it to manual and you can use any setting you like. I forget off the top how to do it but it's in the manual.

Jeff
:|
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:46 AM   #8

The last shot looks like you've used a good setting. You can change aperture in the menu with the flash in. Go to menu and select ext. flash manual( pg. 81 of the operating manual). Experiment with aperture and the 383 has three zones in auto, green , yellow, red. Play with those also. Bounce angle come into play too. I use a diffuser as well which can give you even more control of lighting. As you can see it really changes what the FZ20 can do indoors.

Gordy.....as Jeff said shutter speed does affect exposure. Maybe read up on the site he suggested.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 1:10 PM   #9

ah, I know how to change the external flash settings. When I got my first 383 (off ebay) it only started working in auto mode and I thought it had to be set that way to work which may not be the case. excellent. thx
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:15 PM   #10

I was only talking about flash in a darkened room.Electronic flash is much faster than any shutter speed.You can only control the light from flash with apeture,digital or film
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote