Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:27 PM   #1

i was just browsing over some of the other pana forums in "other sites" and i came across these pictures of lightning. they were fantastic. anyway, the settings done were F8 with an 8 second exposure. he then went on to say that he manually focused the camera at infinity. i have been reading the book by bryan peterson and he makes a lot of mention of this technique. i thought this could only be done on slr lenses. how does one do this with the fz20? help please! :|
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:52 AM   #2

junji98 wrote:
Quote:
i was just browsing over some of the other pana forums in "other sites" and i came across these pictures of lightning. they were fantastic. anyway, the settings done were F8 with an 8 second exposure. he then went on to say that he manually focused the camera at infinity. i have been reading the book by bryan peterson and he makes a lot of mention of this technique. i thought this could only be done on slr lenses. how does one do this with the fz20? help please! :|

That was a bit not so straight forward. For the FZ10, I set to A mode and to apeture to F2.8 so the EVF could gain up, and at AF I focused to the distant light, once that become in focus, I switch to MF, and back to M mode. I think that would work for Fz20 too. I used this method as it was dark, and I had to be fast in setting up the shot. If its in day time, just turn the manual ring until a distant object appears sharp.
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 1:57 PM   #3

hey tichuanye!

thanks for the reply. it is good to know you are a poster in this forum too. somehow, i cannot gain membership into dpreview because all my email is web-based. anyways, thanks for the technique. one question though, a manual focus at infinity means that anywhere from 2 feet to infinity would appear in focus right? using your technique, does this guarantee the same effect or only the distant objects appear focused? i am asking this in relation to shooting landscapes that need everything in focus. thanks!

p.s. your lightning pics were really great!
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:33 AM   #4

Well that will be hard to answer as we are now talking about hyperfocal distance. For SLR, the old type of lens can be used to set the hyperfocal distance. For the FZ camera, I am not too sure of the specs and I cannot advice.

but its a good question though, and it will help in taking landscape shots. I guess the only way is to experiment.

tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote