Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:45 PM   #1

Unfortunately I was about as far from the pitch as anyone in the stadium, but I think the FZ5 did a pretty good job. The game was under floodlight, shots were taken at 12x zoom, handheld. Some PP to improve levels (original shots out of camera were pretty dark). All comments welcome.

For the next 2 I moved about halfway down the stand and increased the ISO to 400 hoping that I could increase the shutter speed (achieved 1/100 to 1/125).

Finally the panorama. 71 shots put together by Autostitch. Given the speed at which I took the shots I'm amazed at the results. PP to remove about 20 duplicate players from the pitch (lol).

A link to the 2mb 5342x1448 version (if anyone want to see more detail):

http://www.familyjarvis.co.uk/fz5/panostadium.jpg
chalkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:55 PM   #2

Wow! That panorama is fantastic! I like that a lot.

The other shots are nice, though the composition needs some work. Not that I could do any better. I seem to have a talent for cutting people's heads off too, like the poor policeman in the third shot.
Still, they are very nice. Really like the action in the first shot. Thanks for sharing them.
pggunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:04 PM   #3

Excellent photos! I have an FZ5 on order and am chomping at the bit waiting! RE your phenomenal 71 photo stitch, you got the "extra" players off the pitch, but their shadows remain!It'sstill anawesome composition, and can't wait to be able to try something similar!
habanero5869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 1:14 AM   #4

Your Pano is Awesome....
Congrats.

Regards,
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:15 AM   #5

Good shots!
The pano is great!
callmebali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:08 AM   #6

Fabulous Pano

(even if it wasn't you'd still get points in my book for being industrious- 71 shots! Wow!)
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 1:04 PM   #7

I'm impressed with both the sharpness of the images and the lack of noise at ISO 400. Makes me want to upgrade (I've got FZ3). Andincredible effort to make such a fine pano!!
pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 7:45 PM   #8

Thanks for all your comments. I'm just having so much fun with this camera.

I was wondering what the markings on the pitch were, thanks habanero5869 for the explanation! I'm going to print the pano over a few A4 sheets to see what the effect is, so I'll put in some more effort in tidying it up first.

I've just noticed that there are clocks at each end of the pano – which tells me that it took about 8 to 10 minutes to get all 71 shots, so you can understand my earlier comment about not being too sure how it would turn out.

The 2mb file was a 100% stitch of the individual shots (resized to 640x480 wide first) and then cropped due to parts I'd missed (I wish I'd got more of the roof). I'm intrigued to see the level of detail if the original out of camera 2560x1920 pics are stitched. I'll give it a try over the weekend and if my PC doesn't blow up and Autostitch can complete the task I'll post a crop from the resulting pano.
chalkman is offline   Reply With Quote