Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:12 PM   #1

[align=center]Closing Time[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=left]FZ5 in macro mode at 12x zoom from about 32" away. Click pic for original.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=center]WindowLock[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=left]FZ5 w/ olybmacro at 12x zoom from about 12" away. Aperture prioity. Click pic for original.[/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:28 PM   #2

Congrats on the new toy. The shots look great Let us know what your feelings are about the the camera. 5 megapixel is apparent when looking at full size. I don't don't see any artifacts.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the pictures; they look good. I would have never thought to have photographed a window lock....that's quite interesting. You experienced photographers amaze me and make me think. I am happy that you got your new camera...it looks as if you are having fun with it. We will be looking forward to more pictures with it. bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:19 AM   #4

FZ5 looking good Fred (thought you were quiet there for a bit But I had a hunch) ;-) even on resized images, minute scratches are visible on the brass window latch.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 7:45 AM   #5

Interesting shots, and very useful to be able see the full-size images, thanks. There seems to be no sign of CA in the window lock highlights so that's well under control. You've noted that the 12x "tele macro" shot of the flower was about 32" away - is that the closest focus distance please? Also, about what would be the subject field size at that distance? For comparison, the FZ3 can focus to about 88cm (35") at 12x and the field size is about 9 x 7 cm.
Ian
ianperegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:25 PM   #6

Nice work as usual Fred !:G
Glad you got the new FZ. Hope to see a lot more when you can post 'em:G

Charles
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:00 PM   #7

So what are your first impressions of your FZ5, Fred?

Good shots, like the DOF on the first and the detail on the second.
chalkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:03 PM   #8

Fred

Cool pics and I really like no. one! When did you get the new toy ? And as Steve's still working on the review, how about an fmoore in review?

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:09 PM   #9

I'm very happy with the fz5. It feels great and takes great shots. It's my main squeeze and should be for some time to come. Do I think it takes better photos than the fz1v2? I really can't see a whole lot of difference at this stage. I'm still gettingfamiliar with themore sophisticated metering system vs the fz1. Once I get a handle on that I'll do some direct comparisons with the fz1. The fz5 with its af assist and stronger flash is a better indoor camera than the fz1 which is nice. Obviously, the extra mp crop option is very beneficial. More detail on landscapes? Hasn't been determined.

The one item I'm unhappy with is the fz5 adapter. It places add-ons around 5-7mm from the camera lens which is way too much for a wa lens and I plan on getting alot of use from the dcr6600. It looks like it will be quite difficult to produce a reasonbly priced metal adapter for the fz5. There does appear to be a fix, however. I got a Raynox rt5264p adapter when I tried out the fz20. It will slide over the fz5 adapter and gives a very nice fit. (The outside diameter of the fz5 adapter must be very close to 64mm.) Since I seldom (as in never) use the lens hood, I plan to remove that 5mm or so of plastic that has the channels for connecting the lens hood. That will also remove the 55mm threads on the inside of the adapter but I wont need them if I'm using the 52mm rt5264p threads. This will put the 52mm dcr6600 quite close to the fz5 lens. All the fz10/15/20 adapters are 64mm inside diameter at the camera end but some of them taper down to to 55 - 62mm. The raynox is a straight cylinder so it fits perfectly. I cant see why it wont work but if it doesn't a new adapter ( part # VYQ3388 )is only $13+ 6 s/h.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:05 AM   #10

Fmoore,

First of all, congrats on finally getting your hands on the new FZ5. I got mine last week. Just curious, did yours come sealed? Mine didn't but I'm sure it's brand new (I ordered mine through a company called onecall.com, much thanks to 4runner who recommended me to them). The camera is made in Japan though and so I'm pretty sure I got what I paid for ($499).

In regard to your photos, they're great, as others have already stated. If you don't mind me asking, what settings did you use to achieve the red flower shot? My background shotsare a bit fuzzy, blurry at times; you can see the noise level, whereas with yours, the background look soft, not blurry, if this makes sense. Did you use OIS1 or OIS2 to achieve that shot? Also, this is probably nothing to be worried about, but I've been noticing that when I view the EXIF info, the compress rate always displays 4.0 bits/ pixel. Shouldn't it read 5.0 as in 5 MP?

I'm planning on taking some pictures at the beach tomorrow and will post some pics for everyone to see. I hope to get some feedbacks from you guys, of course. Nooner and others who checked my photos out have been very helpful!

Thanks.

mblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote