Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:34 PM   #1

I've recently purchased the Phayee adapter for the FZ-20 (thanks Rezajune),and the Hoya polariser. I was going to get the Hama hood but settled on the 72mm King hood from my LCS. I don't see this one mentionedvery often (if at all) on the forum and I was wondering why? ForAUS$17 I thought it good value. Anyway some shots of it on and off in-case you're interested. Excuse the quality,I'm getting a bit too used to OIS and my Canon hasn't got it.....

Attached Images

owenflynn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:36 PM   #2

Pic#2
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:37 PM   #3

pic#3
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:37 PM   #4

pic#4
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:45 PM   #5

That hood looks nice but ineffective for the full range of the zoom, the hama hood is only good to 210mm (the fz20 goes to 432mm @ 12x) and this one is not aslongas the hama fully extended.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:38 AM   #6

Yep, your right........but.........what about the extra distance the hood is already spaced out from the front of the lens by the Phayee adaptor? For arguments sake, if I had the hama and the Phayee together how close would it actually be to being a proper match? Would it be 210mm + the size of the phayee adaptor?

Old Apr 16, 2005, 1:59 PM   #7

Using the Pana hood and the Phayee (both pieces) is the same as far as angle of view is concerned. Composition is the big difference as well as the number of pieces. You`ll find the real difficulty is in finding a hood for a wide (conversion) lens. They tend to take in much more angle and require a wider angle on the hood to accomodate it. I`m now looking for the solutionto that problem on the Raynox 6600 PRO.Bob
bob ingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:02 PM   #8

Thanks for your commnents Bobbut I don't understand how the hood affects composition???? I know it will show up slightly through the viewfinder when you've got it set for tele and the lens for wide. Is this what you mean?

My point on the Hama is that used on it's own it will suit up to a 210mm lens. If the Phayee adaptor is used on it's own what lens size would it suit up to???? Lets say 110mm for arguments sake.

So,the million dollar question is what about when they are used together............what lens size are they effective up to? 300mm?? 320mm?????

The King hood comes in two types, wide and tele. I'm using the tele and having seen the wide it may be more of a solution for you Bob, check it out.