Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:25 PM   #11

No prob, Jed. Yeah, people in theCanon forum thought it funny, some even annoyed, that I thought my camera was defective. I argued that if a person had never seen what a dust spot on a sensor before, how would you know? I think Canon should have a picture in their instruction manual.I was expecting specs, like on a negative. Besides, when I had bought my Olympus camera (before the FZ20 was released, of course!) I had this translucent smudge on the top right of all of my photos, in the exact same spot and the camera was defective, my spots from the 20D looked the same. Here is a pic from my Olympus, and, like the 20D, look at the top right (I cropped it, but on the original, the smudge is in the same exact spot on every pic- b4 I returned it):

Attached Images

Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:39 PM   #12

Hey Mr. Goldar, from Morocco, how ya doin'???? In the studio, I probably could use my Panasonic, but focusing is tricky. With the Canon, I just switch to Manual Focus, b/c that camera ain't great with low light focusing either,. What it usually does, if the flash is activated, is it shoots tiny flashes (looks like a strobe light!) until it gets the focus, instead of a focus beam like we have, but with the flash down, focusing is really difficult. Plus, what I learned about focus recomposition (focusing on a subject, holding your finger down, then moving the camera for proper composition) is that when you move the camera, you change the distance of the camera to the subject and the focusing becomes off, just by a little, but that little is enough to make the pic look slightly unfocused, esp w the aperture wide open. I never can focus manually with my FZ20, esp in low light there is too much noise in the viewfinder. I am hoping the new Panasonics will address that problem. The 20D is a serious tool, but like I said it's "serious" sometimes it doesn't feel "fun" to shoot. And as far as the Raw mode, I actually shot those above studio shots in RAW, as well, but I don't exactly know how to process them. I have the software, so I can see them, but I don't know how to get it into Photoshop, but then again, I didn't read the little pdf that came with the software, but I have been so busy, and shooting is my main thing right now, I can post process later. I do want to process the raw images and see if I can't see a difference. I might blow up some of these shots to poster size just to take advantage of the quality. In the above photo shoot (with my 20D), I took 1,580 shots! That's also the advantage the 5fps shutter, you capture some incredible things, things that you would have most certainly missed. Plus, no shutter lag, which I love b/c with all other digital cameras, I see the shot I want (esp. candids) take the pic, and the facial expression is different b/c of the lag. Here I can't see any lag. These are minor issues if you are shooting still lifes/nature (who needs 5 fps, da mountain ain't goin' nowhere!) but for what I do, it does make a big difference. But I really miss my FZ20, I barely have time to use her!
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:37 PM   #13

One question I had is since you seem to be using a lot of snaps and the shutter life is 100,000, it looks like you might need a new shuuter in short amount of time. I know you have an extended warranty, but do you think they would be willing to fix it a bunch of times since it would be from use, not defects? Also you would lose the camera to repairs while it's being fixed as I doubt they would give you a new one. Just wondering is all.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 3:06 PM   #14

nooner wrote:
Quote:
One question I had is since you seem to be using a lot of snaps and the shutter life is 100,000, it looks like you might need a new shuuter in short amount of time. I know you have an extended warranty, but do you think they would be willing to fix it a bunch of times since it would be from use, not defects? Also you would lose the camera to repairs while it's being fixed as I doubt they would give you a new one. Just wondering is all.

Hi Nooner, toying with getting the D70 (or D50), not right away. I might/might not. But the D70 has an electronic shutter, so - correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no issue with the "life expectancy" of the shutter then, right?

The reason for the D70 is its electronic shutterwould sych the Flashat all shutter speeds.And also, I'm assuming, not have an issue with life-expectancy. A BIG issue with the other SLRs as I see it. Kinda like a timebomb. It would take years to snap 100,000 shots of film.But digital? Nancy Gabby is already 3.5% through the life of hershutter after a couple weeks! With digital, we've been conditioned tosnap away with reckless abandon.

Shooting at this rate (7000 frames per month, estimated), Nancy will have killed her shutter in 14.3 months. :shock:
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:38 PM   #15

I probably will average about 3k pics per month. But, if I am making money and getting incredible shots towards my portfolio, then it will all be worth it. So, if and when the shutter goes, I will probably get another body. Hopefully, the shutter will last a couple of years. I honestly average a digicam about every 1.5 years. And if I am doing it for a living, I can easily justify the cost. I may even go for the Panasonic Olympus dslr. After all, my favorite two cams are the Olympus 770 (also the 2100) and the FZ20. I am hoping for the best with that, if it doesn't pan out, I am sure Canon will be making a newer version of the 20D in the next year or two. Also remember that I just got a new cam and shot only about 100 photos. So I still have 99,900 shots to go!
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:03 AM   #16

Nice work there Nancy,

I like both shots and the FZ20 shot for Halloween looks excellent as well. I got the Pentax *ist DS and posted a few. Not great shots but wanted to give it a spin since I have ten days to decide if I want to keep it.

I would like to see more when they become available and get some rest too.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:03 AM   #17

Your right Nancy . If it is tool that makes money then you could probably write it off tax wise.

Hey Nick. My understanding is the Nikon shutter is part mechanical, part electronic. From what I've read it acts mechanically up to about 1/125 and electronically after that. It seems to be rated at 100,000 snaps mechanically, so I guess it matters what speeds you used most. I would think it would longer than a Canon by some factor. I personally wouldn't be shooting large numbers of pics so I would probably get a few years or more. With the fast burst rates people like to blast away. Me I don't shoot that much action or bird stuff so my use would lower. Your mileage may vary:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:40 AM   #18

I actually found out today that my friend's brother works for Canon. Maybe he can take it into work and have it fixed same day, or next day. I will find out. And I am sure I am not the only one who will burn out the shutter.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 5:14 AM   #19

Nooner - didn't know that. Thanks for the dslr edumacation.

Nancy - good points. I'm thinking like a consumer. Actually, I've "only" taken maybe 2000 or so shots with my FZ1v2 in a year.

I'm itchen to buy a camera... but I have 3 cameras in regular use. :? Each one is fun in its own way: my 35mm manual Vivitar s3000 (12 years old and still going strong... It's actually made by Ricoh.), which I gave to my 9 yr old daughter. (She is totally "enthralled" with it! We just got a roll she shot developed. It was like Christmas. She takes it with her everywhere... Having fun teaching her how to manually focus, set the aperture, film speeds... etc.)
Then there's the Agfa MF folder... WAY fun. Different, slower, more contemplative camera. Requires a lightmeter - dug out of mothballs, still working and a stand-alone range finder to focus. Then, course, there's the FZ1v2.

Look at me... And Nancy calls herself "Gabby"... Should be Nick "Gabby".
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 4:55 PM   #20

That's nothin', Nick, you should see the posts on the Canon forum from me, they should re-name me, "Shoot her in the head and she'll keep talkin" Nancy. And I won't die until I know everything there is to know about that darn 20D camera.

I like your cameras, Nick. I almost miss shooting film. You should post some shots that your daughter took, kids always have a great eye. My little niece (above) takes better pics than me, but child labor laws prevent me from employing her. Plus, she doesn't drive my car too good. And I tell her, "No dessert until you practice driving Aunt Nancy's Avalon!"