Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 15, 2005, 4:09 AM   #1

Hello all, did my first studio shots with the Canon EOS 20D this past weekend (was going to back them up by taking FZ20 shots, but there was no time). I learned about something the hard way, DUST, it ain't no friend to the CMOS sensor. With the FZ20 you can't remove the lens, so no dust can get in, but with the 20D the lenses are removeable. I only attached my lens when I bought the camera, that was it, never took it off, and there was dust spots on the picture. It can be easily PSed out, but now in addition to all of the extra costs, you have to worry about sensor cleaning. I actually thought something was wrong with the camera b/c I never had seen dust off of a sensor. I had heard about the dreaded thing, but just assumed it would look like tiny specs of dust. Well.... it doesn't. It is like a fairly dark dot with a smokey gray translucent halo around it. I actually returned the camera (to B&H) and the return guy, upon seeing the photo, and the marks on it, instantly gave me a new camera, so I didn't find out about the dust until someone posted a reply on the Canon forum. At least I got a new camera out of the deal (I had already shot over 3,000 photos with the camera, and the shutter is rated at about 100,000 shots). Here is a pic from the shoot. The dust spot(s) (you will probably only be able to see one from this re-sized image) is on the top right, and while it doesn't look so bad, on an 8X10 print it is very noticeable, but also easily PSed out (which I haven't done yet). Take a look at my first "pro" shots. Tell me what you think, be honest now, fellas:

Attached Images

Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 4:16 AM   #2

Here's a b&w shot (set to b&w in camera):

Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2005, 4:54 AM   #3

Nancy

Darling, love them both esp the B&W - lots of character and mischieve in that little face. I knew the dust on the sensor is a problem with the DSLR's but didn;t realise you could get a DOA like that. Bye, the way I took a look at the new Canon 350XT/Rebel XT yesterday and boy is that an awkward camera to hold - they've seriously screwed up the ergonomics by reducing the grip. I then checked the Canon DSLR forum just to see what kind of user feedback people had with the new cam and was suprised with some of the build/quality control issues this cam has - one guy is on his 3rd 350XT already! When you do get time to use the FZ20 in the studio I'd really be interested on how the shots turn out.

Also noticed anotehr thing at the Canon forum - boy are those guys touchy!

HArj

:G :blah: :|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 5:00 AM   #4

Hey Harj, how's it hangin'???? Here's a pic I took in the studio,back on Halloween, with my trusty FZ20, with my niece (the same girl in the above photos):

Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2005, 5:05 AM   #5

I wouldn't go for the XT. For a little more money, the 20D shoots at 5fps, and the CMOS sensor is superior, although you probably wouldn't notice much difference. I do like my camera (20D)but it is high maintenance. I wish I could mate it with the FZ20 and see what the children would be like....
Old Apr 15, 2005, 5:44 AM   #6

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
Hey Harj, how's it hangin'???? Here's a pic I took in the studio, back on Halloween, with my trusty FZ20, with my niece (the same girl in the above photos):

Nancy

You've got a really cute little niece there. Things are cool here in the UK - I'm back in work, not sure if thats a good thing as I'd rather be taking photos than looking after systems. That looks like a pretty good shot from the FZ as well, not bad at all.

I was just curious about the 350XT but after picking it up - I'd rather stick with my FZ10 even though i hate the grip on it as well! The 350XT in the UK is 700GBP = $1300 but the 20D is 1100GBP=$2069!! I could take a trip to NY and pick a 20D there and I'd still be saving $$. Actually, I'm thinking of waiting for a while, if I go for a dslr it'd be for doing portraits but for now I'm saving up and waiting to see what Pana bring out as a replacment for the FZ20 or the dslr in 2006. Also Nikon are bringing out a replacement for the Nikon D70 and new entry level D50 within the next few weeks as well so if the pricing is good I may look at one of those. I will definetly be keeping my FZ.

Bye the way are those shots with the standard kit lens or did you pick up another lens with IS?

Harj
Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:13 AM   #7

I got the 17-85mm EF-S lens. Those are the lenses they made specifically for their digital cameras. I paid a little under $2k (american) at B&H plus with the memory card, and extra battery it came to about $2400 withtax. It has IS but as the Canon forum attests, it doesn't do very much. The IS' work much better on longer lenses.

I, too, am awaiting the newer version of the FZ20. I know if they increase the sensor size it will decrease the zoom magnification, but maybe they could make the lens a little longer, I wouldn't mind, plus I had better be able to attach my $400+ ltz10 telephoto lens to it.

The 700gbp is that with the kit lens? I think the 20D with the kit lens is under $1500 @ b&h, so it would only be a $200 difference, for a better camera with a better grip. Plus you can add the battery grip. The forum guys seem to love it, but I don't need any more weight on my camera. I am sure the new cameras will be blowing away the 20D soon enough, plus they have to solve that sensor cleaning issue (I think the Evolt's sensor shakes b4 each shot, andOlympus guarantees no dust). I got my money on the UZs. First the Oly 2100 was "da bomb", and it still is a great camera, esp. @ 2mp. Now it is the FZ20. Hopefully Panasonic will just keep improving on a good thing, in addition to their upcoming dslr. If not, someone will pick up the UZ. I love the idea of not changing lenses.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 7:26 AM   #8

Nancy

Both the canon's were with kit lens EF-S's although the 350XT came with a F3.5-4.6 EF-S lens.

Personally, I'd like Panasonic to increase the sensor size to a 2/3 or at least 1.8" CCD, even if that meant a larger body (bigger grip please!) and shorter zoom - say 35-300, I could still use a TCON14B to get that extra reach.

I've also been looking at the LC1 as well, I do like its retro design, very discreet and that Leica lens, the quality of the image although I'm not sure if it'll be good for portraits. From what I've read quiet a few pro's who have the LC1/Digilux2 have stopped using their DSLRs becuase of the the picture quality theyre getting.

I read a review on the Oly E1 yesterday and the sensor shake at startup does really work. Hopefully,the pana dslr should get something like that.

better get back to work.

Harj
:?
Old Apr 15, 2005, 7:47 AM   #9

Hi Nancy, thanks for sharing your photos -they look great. I read through some of your thread in the Canon forum the other day - they are a bit touchy! :-)Sorry to see you have had some misfortune but it looks like you've got goin on now. It looks like there are several folks here thinking about going DSLR so sharing your experience here will benefit others - thanks!
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:20 PM   #10

Hi Nancy...

It's NickTrop (Goldar's my work log-in, as I forgot my password...). Terrific work! The lighting is spot-on. However, it's hard to mess up such an adorable subject. Thinking about professional work, for studio work, do you really need a DSLR? The ability to shoot athigh ISOs wouldn't matter there, nor would that matter in weddings shot with a flash. Color accuracy, of course, would be the main issue. And, do you really need "RAW" mode?

Anyway, keep posting your pics!

Nick

Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote