Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:28 AM   #1

I am a beginner photographer and I was wondering about how easy it is to use this camera. I was also looking at the A95. I know there is a heart mode, and an automatic mode. Does the camera function well under the simple modes? I would probably start out using the simple modes and then progress to the more complicated.
Thanks for the help.
kpdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:43 AM   #2

kpdesigns wrote:
Quote:
I am a beginner photographer and I was wondering about how easy it is to use this camera. I was also looking at the A95. I know there is a heart mode, and an automatic mode. Does the camera function well under the simple modes? I would probably start out using the simple modes and then progress to the more complicated.
Thanks for the help.
Speaking from FZ20 experience, the FZ5 is a camera you can grow in to.. Just make sure you keep the instructions handy and follow them.. After that, when you get stuck, ask here.. Plenty of good people willing to help..

Good luck
Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:11 PM   #3

I'm pretty new at digital photography... only have a relatively simple Canon SD200 in the house. Just bought the FZ5 and I am working my way around it using the manual and whatever view is in front of me. This camera is wonderful, the zoom is fantastic and the stabilization feature is excellent.

I looked at the Canon A85 & A95 but wanted the zoom and figured if I was going to spend some serious dollars then I wanted a camera that I could grow into over time. The 'simple' mode is really good and then you can play with it and see the difference in the quality of the pic when you figure out the different features on it.

I realized, after using the Canon SD200 that 3X zoom is too limiting too many times. So, the FZ5 can be 3X if you want it to be, or 12X if you need that. The size is comparable to the Canon 'A' models - a bit bigger but not too big. It isn't a pain to take it places, I have a small Lowepro edit 120 and it fits in there great with a table tripod, extra battery and spare SD card. Still has a bit of room, too.

I'm someone that always second guesses myself especially on an item that cost $500 plus $$ for the extra battery and the SD card... I am not a bit sorry that I made this purchase.
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:53 PM   #4

I am so glad to hear your opinion of the Fz5. I have ordered mine, but it has not come in yet. I am such a coward about trying something new and have been wavering ever since I ordered it. Your comments have really helped me feel good about my decision to purchase it. I have been using a little Kodak Easy Share and it is so simple, but I wanted to be able to do MORE. I have been looking at all the pictures posted here, and most of them are so good I am in total awe. I hope to take a class at Vo-Tech in the fall and learn how to fully utilize this camera.
oprakitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 6:01 PM   #5

I got my Z5 last week and am still getting used to all the things it can do. For me, weight is critical because I use my cameras most when I hike. Tele and weight are great in this Z5. IS helps so very much when photographing wildlife. I also like the mic to help me remember where I took the photo.
rcknchr is offline   Reply With Quote